Thursday 5 January 2023

My New Years Resolutions for 2023

 I've been hellishly busy this year. The start of the year is always a crazy time, this year more so than ever. We've had to make major changes to the studio website, which takes a huge amount of effort and I'v also got a host of other projects in initiation mode. I meant to post this on the 2nd, but simply didn't have time. 

Anyway, the new year is always a chance to reflect and reset. I have some resolutions, that I hope will help me get through. What are they? Well here we go.

1. I always start the New Year with two weeks off the booze. I overdid it a tad at Xmas and New Year. I put on a stone and I was starting to feel a bit foggy. It's the same every year, and the solution is the same. It's now the 5th, so I am over a third of the way through. What is funny is that I don't miss alcohol at all when I don't drink (except maybe if I am out with friends). As I am always busy at the start of the year, it also helps me get things done. I will have my first drink on the 15th when I go to see 999 and Menace at The 100 club. I guess that the year I find it hard to do this will be when I start to worry and do the whole dry January. At the moment it's a doddle. 

2. I will have three days a week off alcohol throughout the year, except for when I am on holiday. I've done this for the last two years and it has worked well. Usually it is Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, but there is flexibility. I may well update this blog as the year goes to chart it. Maybe I won't though. I managed last year with no problems.

3. I will finish the book I've been writing. I started in 2019 and was on the final draft when lockdown hit. It is the story of my studio, my band and my life. I had to stop it in 2020 as the confines of lockdown made it problematical for my mental health to dig up some of the memories. I've revisited it. With the cold light of day and some distance, I realised it was terribly dull and self indulgent. I am completely rewriting it, tightening it up and adding proper context to the events. 

4. To add a minimum of six more installments of London Symphonies. I have a few draft ideas that I am excited about. 

A finger in the sun!

5. To complete The False Dots next album, A finger in the Sun and release it. 

6.  To do more gigs this year with the band. 

7. To ignore the idiots that plague Twitter. This is hard because my friends often keep me updated on their latest idiocies. It is easy to develop a morbid fascination with such antics, but it does you no good at all. After my post earlier this week, Mill Hill was awoken at an earthly hour by the sounds of barrel's being scraped by one of our worst offenders. This meant I awoke to a torrent of WhatsApp messages from friends sniggering at how I'd triggered such a response. It made me realise that I really must keep the lid on the dustbin. 

What are yours?


No comments: