Thursday 2 March 2023

What is an alcoholic? And am I one?

 Having not had anything to drink since Saturday, my mind wandered to the question of whether I'm an alcoholic. I will have a couple of pints of shandy tonight. It's my turn to drive to our football drinks. I may even abstain, I haven't made my mind up. I have to admit I fancy a beer or two, but not enough to be stupid or skip my turn. I have a rule that I don't drink on three days a week. I pretty much keep to that, and I don't miss drinking 90% of the time when Idon't have one. I've not missed one since I last had one. 

But I got to thinking, could I still be an alcoholic if I only drink four of seven days?

I googled "Am I an alcholic". I did a test and it didn't tell me.

I then found this list

10 Warning Signs You’re an Alcoholic

The following are ten warning signs of alcoholism that might help you answer the question, “Am I an alcoholic?”

  1. Drinking alone and in secrecy.
  2. Losing interest in other activities you once found enjoyable.
  3. Alcohol cravings.
  4. Making drinking a priority over responsibilities.
  5. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms.
  6. Extreme mood swings and irritability.
  7. Feelings of guilt associated with drinking.
  8. Having a drink first thing in the morning.
  9. Continuing to drink despite health, financial and family problems.
  10. An inability to stop or control the amount of alcohol consumed.
So how did I do?

 
  1. Drinking alone and in secrecy. - Rarely. I can't say I never do, because occasionally I do enjoy a beer whilst watching footie on the telly on my own. 
  2. Losing interest in other activities you once found enjoyable. Actually, the opposite is true. I used to drink whilst rehearsing with the band and I don't do that anymore. I tend to only really drink with friends
  3. Alcohol cravings. I would be a liar if I said I never 'fancy a beer', but I don't need one and go out of my way to have one if I get a sudden urge for a drink (which rarely happens)
  4. Making drinking a priority over responsibilities. I don't do this, although I occasionally get detained in the pub with friends, when I forget the time
  5. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms. I don't get the shakes, headaches etc
  6. Extreme mood swings and irritability. I do get irritable, but I always have at times. 
  7. Feelings of guilt associated with drinking. No
  8. Having a drink first thing in the morning. No, I don't really
  9. Continuing to drink despite health, financial and family problems. I probably would to some extent
  10. An inability to stop or control the amount of alcohol consumed. It depends on whether the question is in the context of a drinking session with mates or generally in life. I find it very hard to control my drinking when I'm with my mates and often have a couple more than I should, but in life generally, I don't see it as a problem.

It appears that there are five subtypes.

Young Adult Subtype

Individuals in the young adult subtype make up 31% of people addicted to alcohol in the U.S. They drink less frequently than the other subtypes, but when they do drink, they’re likely to overdo it and binge. They typically come from families with low rates of alcoholism.

Young Antisocial Subtype

Roughly 54% of this subtype have a psychiatric diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder (ASPD), a condition that’s characterized by at least three of the following:

  • Recurring criminal activities
  • Regular fights of assaults
  • Lack of regard for the safety of others
  • Lack of remorse
  • Impulsiveness
  • Deceitfulness
  • Irresponsibility

Many of this type also have other substance addictions, anxiety problems, bipolar disorder and major depression.

Functional Subtype

The high-functioning alcoholic is perhaps the furthest from the alcoholic stereotype, leading many to be in denial about their addiction. They’re often successful, with families and stable jobs. About 62% of functional alcoholics work full time, and 26% possess a college degree or higher. This subtype makes up 19.5% of people addicted to alcohol in the U.S.

Intermediate Familial Subtype

Individuals in the intermediate familial subtype are, on average, age 38 and are usually employed. About 50% of these individuals are from families with multigenerational alcoholism, and almost all have experienced clinical depression.

Chronic Severe Subtype

This is the rarest subtype, making up only 9% of people addicted to alcohol in the United States. Most individuals in this subtype are middle-aged and started drinking early. Of the five subtypes, they rate highest for other psychiatric disorders and abuse of other substances. Roughly 80% are from families that struggle with multigenerational alcoholism.

This was interesting. If I am, then I guess if I'm any, I'm a Functional subtype (by definition, in denial). How do you know if you are in denial? It is always good to challenge yourself. I guess I am pretty reassured. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the test from Alcoholics Anonymous, which asks some different questions: https://www.aa.org/self-assessment

Rog T said...

Well I got 3/12 so am under the threshold for being an alcoholic on the AA test.