Monday 26 August 2024

The joy of Notting Hill Carnival

 I spent the day yesterday at Carnival. It was amazing fun and the huge crowds were in great spirits. My sister in law lives in Notting Hill and had a Carnival party. Her next door neighbour is Tre Lowe from the Apprentice, who set up a rum bar in his front garden and was doing a brisk trade! A proper entreprenuer!

The amazing range of food, music and sound systems gives me a great pride in our city. The work put into the floats and the parade always amazes me. Unlike Glasto, it is free. Youc an nip down, chill out and have a great day. The only downside, is it's a long walk to Paddington when you want to go home. 

Sadly, for people who never go out and read the Daily Mail for their views of the world, Carnival is only news when there is trouble. When you have over 2 million poeple in an area, some drinking more than they should, there will be incidents, just as there are at football matches. The police where we were were brilliant, as were the ambulance service. We saw them attending to a few people who'd overdone the rum and someone who'd tripped over. 

The people who criticise carnival never go and are mostly racists. They are armchair critics, who hate people enjoying themselves and believe that unless something is boring, it should be banned. My sister in law has Carnival on her doorstep. If you don't like it, don't move to Notting Hill. As an ageing punk, I love the anarchic nature of Carnival. It has changed over the years, I was chatting to a lady at the 'All about the bass" exhibition at The British library on Thursday, who told me it is got a bit corporate, but it still keeps it's soul. I've been going since I was a teenager. These days, the music is different, far less dreadlocked dudes blasting out lovers rock (more's the pity). I used to go down and jam at a mates flat, who had an after party for many years. We were in there, in a haze of smoke in one of the years when there was most trouble. We were oblivious to it until we came home. Unless you go, it is impossible to realise what a huge area the carnival takes place over. For various reasons, it is the first time I've been back since the Pandemic. It is great to see it is still the same wonderful celebration of life.

Well done to all. 




.


No comments: