Saturday 3 August 2024

The Saturday List #450 - "What have immigrants ever done for us?" - My personal list

 I normally avoid 'matters of the day" but hey ho, rules are made to be broken. With the current riots etc, the contribution of immigrants is in the spotlight. So I think it's fair to say "What have immigrants ever done for us?". Here's my personal list.

1. My Dad. Well he was an immigrant, came from Australia to fly bombers for the RAF in World War Two. He was not alone, his squadron (40 Squadron) was a Commonwealth Squadron and all his crew, apart from his rear gunner ('Spud' Murphy) were born outside of the UK. His squadron included at least one Indian Muslim crew, who he told me were ordered by the Medical Orderly to drink three large scotches after each mission to help deal with the stress and nerves. Alcohol is not prohinited by Islam for medicinal use. Dad met up with them in the 1980's and asked if they'd drunk since. They all said no, but explained that they'd have cracked up if they hadn't, the stress being so great. I published a blog of my Dad's diary from 1944, detailing his missions back in 2008, for Remembrance Sunday. It is pretty harrowing but funny at times. Dad never gave up his Aussie passport and always referred to himself as a Commonwealth Citizen. 

2. My Grandad (Mums side). He was an immigrant from Dublin. He served in the cavalry in World War One. He was gassed in the trenches and his health never recovered, He passed away in 1948 in his sleep at the age of 66. I wouldn't be here but for his efforts. 

3. Just about everyone who treats me in the NHS. I've had a long and interesting relationship with the NHS. My Doctor growing up was Dr Moodaley in Burnt Oak. My current Doctor is Dr Amasanti- De Bono at Millway. When I had surgery for cancer, this time last year, all of the nurses were either African or Phillipino, as best as I could tell. 

4. My band. Where to start? Fil Ross, our bassplayer for the last 22 years is Portuguese. We've had two amazing female singers, Venessa Sagoe, who is half Nigerian

L/R Adam Francis, Rog T, Venessa Sagoe, Paul Hircombe, Bill Pithers

Connie Abbe who is South Sudanese.


Pete Conway who started the band with me, was Irish. Paul Hircombe, our bassplayer for 28 years was half Austrian. Sorry if you don't likeit, but I'll always stand by my mates and the people who've put faith in me and joined my band. 

5. Currys and Chinese food. Last night I had a rather tasty curry with a mate at The Mill Hill Tandoori. I have done this most Fridays over the last 45 years. The Good Earth Chinese restaurant in Mill Hill has also been a favourite of the family. The Chinese boss saw my Dad being robbed by two thugs with a baseball bat outside Lloyds Bank in the Broadway, whilst collecting the wages for Mac Metals in 1984. He followed the thugs, took their car number and they were arrested, getting 18 month sentences. For that I will forever be grateful.

6.  My patio. When I needed my Patio doing, I mentioned it to my former next door neighbours, who lovely Romanian builders. Did a great job and did it very cheap!

7. Sausages.  I'm tucking into some rather tasty sausages as I write this, procured from Boucherie Gerard, run by Gerard, who is one of my favourite Frenchmen and who has kept Mill Hill fed in style for decades.

8. My customers at the studio. Probably 75% of the customers of my studio are immigrants or are directly descended from immigrants. They pay mortgage. I put together a playlist of some of our best customers a couple of weeks ago. It tells the story. 


9. Football. I support England, Manchester City and Hadley FC. I've seen some of the worlds most talented footballers. My sporting moment of the summer was when England won that penalty shootout. in the Euro's. It answered a lot of people. I could make a list of players, but it would be very long and if you care, you know them all anyway.

10. Ska and Reggae music. My favourite genre of music is Ska. I'm going to see a Ska band tonight at The Dublin Castle. It was the sound of my youth. The UK leads the worlds music scene because we embrace and assimilate different genres and styles of music. Bands such as The Specials, The Beat and The Selecter formed and shaped my musical tastes. No immigrants means no Ska. 

Sure, there are problems, of course governments of recent years have not covered themselves in glory with their policies, but never forget that everyone is a person, an individual. Most people just want to get on and get by. Any politician who demonises any group purely by their race or religion is a charlatan and a chancer. By all means moan about the policies of governments of the day. Don't take it out on some unfortunate person who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

No comments: