Friday 23 August 2024

Happy Birthday to me!

 So yesterday was my big day. I celebrated my 61st and 62nd birthday. What a difference a year makes. Last year I posted a blog about my birthday which finished with the sentence "Today,  I just don't feel like celebrating. Please allow me to be miserable today.

I still had a cathetar in from my cancer surgery and I was feeling rather pensive about the future. This year I made up for having a dry, miserable birthday in 2023. I decided to have a full day of indulgence. 


Here was the programme. it was full on, from 9am, till 10pm. Starting at Cafe Anglais for brekkie in Colindale and ending at The Bengal Lancer in Kentish Town, taking in Darlands Lake, Southwark Cathedral, The Rake Pub,m Spitalfields Market, the Beyond The Bassline Exhibition, The booking Office at St Pancras, The Southampton Arms in Kentish Town in between. I managed to clock up over 21,000 steps and walked over 10 miles. It was lovely to spend the day with Mrs T and two of my kids. My nephew joined us for the curry which was lovely. Sadly although I burned off 4,635 calories, I doubt that would put too much of a dent after all of the eating and drinking was taken into account. I woke up this morning and really didn't feel like getting up. I never regret good nights out, it is not in my nature to say "never, ever  again" I did wish I'd been able to have a day off, however that was not to be. 

This is the second day of festivities. As reported earlier, on Tuesday we took a train ride with friends. We are facing a packed weekend. Barbeque tomorrow evening, Notting Hill Carnival on Sunday and Hadley FC on Monday, away at Kings Langley. 
There's no peace for the wicked!









I should addd that a year can be a long time. Walking aroundthe block was a struggle. My plans were tentative. My mood was pretty down. I am suffering a bit for the fun we had, I am in work as I write this. It is always worth remembering that if you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, maybe the tunnel is just a bit longer than you thought. Keep going. I saw a tragic feature on the news last night, talking about Facebook pages promoting teenage suicide. The older you get, the faster time seems to rush by. What is tragic is that so many young people don't realise that bad times are temporary (as are good times) and things change.Two of my best friends have lost children to suicide. It seems to me that both of the poor kids didn't appreciate how loved they were. My last two birthdays couldn't have been more different. I can only wonder what next year's will be like. But I am glad that I am here and that the bad times are at bay. 


.

No comments: