Wednesday 7 January 2009

Barnet Eye News Round up - Coleman's latest balls and God on the bus.

I don't usually use my Wednesday round up for Colemanbashing but as he was giving it large on Radio 2 today, I feel it is only fair to start by administering a sharp kick to the Colemanballs. I asked in a previous blog for anyone at all who liked Brian Coleman and thought he did a good job to leave a comment. I didn't get any comments, but I actually got an email. A rather pleasant lady of Cypriot origin told me that he's a steadfast supporter of Cyprus and the Cypriot community. She said he's always at events and always very supportive. She said that although she wasn't a member of the Tory party, she felt it was only fair to repay him for his support. Fair comment, I thought. If he's putting time into helping out London's Cypriot community, that's a good thing. I did a quick search of his register of members interests (CLICK HERE) and noticed that he's a member of the Conservative Friends of Cyprus. I then thought I'd check his hospitality register and I found this entry for 12 October 2007

Visit to Cyprus to attend events organised by the Municipality of Morphou to protest against the Turkish invasion and occupation of Cyprus. Flights with Cyprusair to and from Larnaca, 3 nights bed and breakfast at Hilton Park Hotel in Nicosia. 12th October, Dinner at Cyprus sporting Centre Nicosia. 13th October, Formal Dinner at Hilton Park Hotel Nicosia. 14th October - lunch at Annivas Restaurant, Astromeritis, 14 Oct, Dinner at Miloi Restaurant Dhali Village. 15th october Lunch at Evohia Restaurant, Nicosia


On 10 October 2008 he went to "protest" some more

Visit to Cyprus to attend events organised by the Municipality of Morphou to protest against the Turkish invasion and occupation of Cyprus. Flights with Cyprusair to and from Larnaca, 3 nights bed and breakfast at Hilton Park Hotel in Nicosia. Dinner on the 10th October, lunch and dinner on the 11th and 12th October and lunch on the 13th October in Local Restaurants.


Far be it from me to suggest that Brians interests in Cyprus might be influenced by a nice free holiday every year. I'm sure he finds plenty of time to protest between the free lunches and dinners. Mind you I can't talk. I've sampled free lunches at protests. I remember that Michael Foot once gave me a cheese sandwich at a rally because he said I looked "miserable and hungry".

Another story which caught my eye was the adverts for Athiesm on the side of buses. A couple of people asked me what I thought, as I'm a Roman Catholic ( a rather bad one mind ). Well, it's a free country and if that's how Athiests want to spend their money, that's fine by me. Personally I'd have rather have the seen donations of £150,000 being spent on meals for the homeless and starving in a nice "Gift from the Athiests" bag, but hey that's me. It seems that the justification for the ads is that churches do it. As I say, if I was an athiest, I'd try and do something a bit different than sheepishly following church tactics. As I said, it's their cash so good luck to them. If it makes people think, that's good enough for me.

One last story was the Sharon Shoesmith compensation story. Whilst she must bear some responsibilty, it seems to me that she is becoming the victim of a media frenzy. I doubt she'll get another well paid job any time soon. I presume she has a mortgage to pay based on her salary and if she had a contract she should be paid off according to the contract. Given the level of responsibility people like her have, I don't think large salaries are unjustifed. If people don't perform they lose their job, but the days of the stocks have gone. If she's entitled to the money she should get it. If everyone who makes a mistake at work is to be sacked and given nothing, then that will sooner or later affect us all. I think it is time for the press to leave her alone.

8 comments:

Don't Call Me Dave said...

Rog

I don’t believe that Sharon Shoesmith is entitled to be paid off for the remainder of her contract. She failed to do the job she was paid to do and failure should not be rewarded - especially at the taxpayers’ expense.

Not only did Shoesmith fail to apologise for the failings of her department, she would not even accept that she had done anything wrong. Her behaviour is symptomatic of the arrogant contempt for the public that permeates through the higher echelons of the civil service.

Of course she must be allowed to find another job, but I would suggest that she is wholly unsuited to work in the public sector - at director level at any rate. For her next job interview, she should practice her lines: “Would you like fries with that?”

Brian Coleman aka Mr Toad has GOT to go said...

Once again, The Barnet Eye has done a wonderful job in highlighting the vital work of Barnet's cabinet member for free foreign forays and food.

I take my hat off to you sir!
____________

Brian Coleman (aka Mr Toad) has GOT to go!:

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24061317432

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/mr_toad_has_got_to_go

Rog T said...

David,

I know people who work in social services and the implications of the treatment of Shoesmith are huge. People are very wary of taking senior positions in light of this. If the tabloids target you then you lose everything. To my mind a culture where mistakes are punished in this way will scare off the type of people who will most likely do a good job (ie people who give situations due consideration). I understand your comments but think that a "sack em and lynch em" ethos will only attract chancers to the service.

Brian Coleman aka Mr Toad has GOT to go said...

Rog - I've found someone who'll defend Mr Toad.

He hasn't actually gone as far as saying that he likes Brian Coleman or that he thinks he does a good job - but I think he just might if pushed:

http://city-hall.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-year-at-budget-committee.html

Brian Coleman aka Mr Toad has GOT to go said...

Ah!

I see you already found it Rog. Good work

:-)

Rog T said...

Mr Toad,

Strangely enough I was looking at this blog and left a comment there shortly before you left this comment.

I think said member probably views Coleman as an embarrassing relative. He can't slag him off in public, but when he turns up you just have top cross your fingers and hope for the best

Brian Coleman aka Mr Toad has GOT to go said...

Its interesting that we both left concurrent, similar comments along the lines that Coleman does the party more harm than good.

I note that Mr Evans has not refuted that.

Brian Coleman aka Mr Toad has GOT to go said...

FYI - This story appears to have been picked up here Rog:
http://crerar.standard.co.uk/2009/01/freebie-time.html