Wednesday 17 July 2024

Rock and Roll Stories #13 - Past it?

 When we started The False Dots back in 1979, one of the things that we didn't give any thought to at all was how long the band would last. About five seconds into our first rehearsal, I realised that this was something I really wanted to do. Unlike most bands, we didn't start playing covers, from day one, we played originals. We'd thtough the odd cover in, because the Clash played Police and Thieves by Junior Murvin, so bunging in the odd cover must be a cool thing to do, but this came later. I realised that playing your own tunes is a wonderful thing to do. For me, it was like the first time I kissed a girl I fancied. It was great. It never occurred to me that one day I may be 'past it' - to old to Rock and Roll. If you look at the music made fourty years before 199, we are in 1939. In the mood by Glenn Miller was the best selling record. In the UK, tunes like Run Rabbit were popular. Teen culture did not exist. For my Mum's generation (she was born in 1925), you went to school, then maybe got a job, got married, had kids and were a grown up. Social life was going to dances with your friends, or maybe the pictures. Her brothers got jobs in the building trade at fourteen and then were conscripted into the army. They had no pop stars as such, no music written by their peers, no Glasto or Reading. 

By the time The False Dots were formed, we'd had more than two decades of teen culture. Teds, Rockers, Mods, Hippies, Skinheads, Punks etc had all had their era. For my parents, it was all a bit strange. My Dad once tried to advise me that if I didn't dress smart and shine my shoes, I'd never get a girlfriend. When I explained that 'things have changed since your day Dad', he called me an idiot. As various girlfriends turned up, he was bemused. Fast forward to fourty five years on. I am now the same as my Dad was in 1979. When I was that age, the concept of watching my Dad on a stage playing guitar and singing ska/punk songs would have simply been beyond comprehension. But here I am, doing just that and not only that, but my kids bring their mates, because they think it is good fun. As they've grown up with the band, it is not some bizarre mid life crisis. It is just me doing my thing. I like to think I'm pretty good at what I do with the band and I am blessed to be surrounded by talented musicians.

Most, but not all, of the bands and artists I see are of the same vintage as me. It is fair to say tha many have improved and are better than they were, if some of anarchic dynamism has gone. The songs still sound great. I was asked a couple of days ago "When will you pack it all in?". The answer is simple, when I stop enjoying it. This year, we've done ten gigs so far. The most since 1984! I'd set a target of 12. We have our album launch in November at The Dublin Castle. 

I go through phases with my music. I go through phases where it is really easy to write songs, I go through phases where I obsess on playing the guitar and I go through phases where I just want to gig. Between 2022 and the start of the year, I was in a really productive song writing phase, but the well has run a bit dry at the moment. I am really enjoying singing with the band and have even considered getting a guitarist in so I can concentrate on this. I love playing the guitar, but have realised that you are really constrained by having a guitar and beings tuck in front of a static microphone. I think we could really up the energy if I could excape and take the mic off the stand. The only trouble is finding someone who fits the bill, The False Dots music is pretty unique and although it isn't hard to play, it requires a mindset that is a million miles from what most rock guitarists are expected to play. I am loving doing the gigs at the moment. 

I have learned something over the last three years, since I stepped up to vocals. I had always assumed that my voice was simply not up to being the lead singer. When Allen was unable to rehearse in 2021, I was forced to stand in. What I learned was that I'd simply not written songs for my voice and my personality. I'd made a massive mistake in 1979, when Pete Conway left the band. Instead of taking the helm and doing stuff that would make us unique, Craig stepped up and we became a half decent new wave band like everyone else. The evidence was there, before my eyes. Ian Dury was not Marvin Gaye, but I love them both equally. Joe Strummer was not Mick Jagger vocally, but the Clash were beyond peer. Terry Hall of the Specials was not Frankie Valli, but the Specials were the best band I've ever seen. Suggs is not Desmond Dekker but havings seen both, I'd rather see them on the same gig bill than choose between them!

In short, there is a place for everyone in the wonderful world of music, if you have something unique, entertaining and exciting. I don't put myself in the same bracket as any of the above, but I do know that The False Dots are a band that can entertain a crowd, hold their attention and give them a good time. The forthcoming album is going to put what we've done out there and I believe that the people who've seen the band will love it.

Someone said to me a few weeks ago "Why do you do originals, it's not as if you'll ever make it now you are a pensioner". There are two answers, the first is that they've missed the point. It was never about playing music to get rich. It was and is about making this journey through life a little more fun. But then I thought about it. Actually, I think they are wrong. Although it probably won't be The False Dots that prove my point, as it's not a motivation,  I think there are big bucks to be made for bands like ours. I got into punk because it spoke to me as a teenager. Now all of us are pension age, we have cash to splash and time on our hands. No one is writing music for us. Surely there is a huge opportunity to write songs, with our decades of hard knocks. Sooner or later someone will wake up to the fact that if you can play good music, be entertaining and write songs that people get, then you could clean up. Now I am not talking about writing songs about being a pensioner and playing golf (although I suspect if you got it right you'd be minted), I am talking about writing songs that people of any age can listen to, which give some sort of insight into life that only someone who has lived could write. Since day one of the band, my ambition ghas been to have a band that plays regular gigs at London's grassroots venues and records a records from time to time. Box ticked. Earning millions and having our own private jet was not part of the equation. I won't be chasing the big bucks, but I totally believe that sooner or later someone will and that will be a massive thing. For me, it would be nice to earn a few quid from it all, clear the mortgage and have a couple of decent holidays on the proceeds, but if I don't hey ho, life's been good.

----

As I mentioned, The False Dots will be launching our album at The Dublin Castle in November. Here is a little song we wrote aboutthe venue, If you know Camden Town you might enjoy this. I think its a banging tune.


1 comment:

Rita said...

Enjoyed reading this Roger. I love your zest forliving life doing the things you enjoy x