One of the things that annoys me most about the press in the UK (and probably everywhere) is the way they portray every action and statement of those they support as the work of a genius and evey action of their opponents as the work of an idiot. Following the last election and the selection of Kemi Badenoch as leader of the opposition, we had the strange spectacle of two completely useless leaders going about their business in a very useless manner. Papers like The Express, The Sun and The Mail were keen to big up Badenoch, despite the fact that it was clear she is useless. Likewise, the Guardian and the Mail pretended that Starmer was brilliant, despite the fact that it was patently obvious that he was useless.
The public are not stupid. How did they react? They couldb't hve been clearer in their actions. Reform and Nigel Farage zoomed up the polls, as did Zack Polanski. I genuinely believe tahat this had little to do with people actually wanting either as PM and more to do with a general mid term message to Labour and the Tories to sort themselves out. Labour have. I know Burnham is in a honeymoon period, but it is 100% clear that he is a far better person to run the country than Starmer was. He believes in something and is prepared to work across party lines for the good of the UK. I am listening to him speak on the radio as I write this. Unlike Starmer, I have no wish to turn off the radio at the mere sound of his voice.
A recent Poll put Labour above Reform for the first time in over a year
Westminster Voting Intention:
— electionmapsuk (@electionmapsuk) July 28, 2026
LAB: 26% (+1)
RFM: 24% (-2)
CON: 21% (+2)
GRN: 10% (+2)
LDM: 10% (=)
SNP: 3% (=)
RES: 2% (+1)
Via @Survation, 25-27 Jul.
Changes w/ 22-24 Jul.
I doubt anyone who watches politics keenly is too surprised. But for the Tories, mid term after two years of a rubbish leader, they are languishing in third place. Nigel Farage has managed to shoot himself in both feet with his election stunt. He has got himself into a battle with Count Binface in a completely unneccesary by election, which he can only lose. Binface has been able to turn the spotlight on him and ridicule him in a way no ordinary politician ever could. Farage has been totally blindsided. Whatever happens, he has been made to look ridiculous and his party has taken a massive hit. Binface has run a briliant social media campaign, that has gone viral, making sure everyone knows of his dodgy dealings. But under Badenoch, the Tories have got almost no benefit in the polls.
One of Burnhams first initiatives has been to reach out to her on reform of social care. She had an amazing opportunity to look like a sensible, grown up politician. Her response? We will only get involve if there is a guarantee of no tax rises. The public know that social care is in a mess and people are not stupid, there will be a cost. By trying to dictate from a position of weakness, she has undermined her credibility. If she had said "We have to do this and we will make sure that the government reforms deliver value for money for taxpayers" she would have looked serious and statesmanlike. By all means walk away of the conversation is going nowhere, but a leader of the opposition should not put conditions on such talks, until they hear what has to be said.
I wonder what Badenoch would say if we need to put taxes and borrowing up urgently for the defence of the realm? As far as I am concerned, defending vulnerable adults is as important. We should never fund things like social care by borrowing. I am all for efficiency in government and money being spent wisely. I run a business and every time I visit an A&E department or an NHS hospital, I see inefficiency everywhere. There is huge scope for bette rmanagement and money saving, but this has to come from better management. Those who knock the NHS forget that we get our health care cheaper than countries that have private systems. No one is bankrupted. But it isn't perfect. If I was Badenoch, I'd be looking at identifying waste for savings. It seems that every time I go to any hospital department, I have to hang around, sometimes be checked in at three departments and there are bundles of paper everywhere. All of this could be automated. When we get trains, we buy tickets online and tap in. The technology is there. But the Tories have an analogue leader, who doesnt grasp the fact that the world is changing. AI offers savings in all manner of areas of government, but she has nothing to say about it. In fact, she has nothing to say of interest about anything.
In short, she is useless and if the Tories want their own Burnham bounce, they need someone who gets it.
No comments:
Post a Comment