So today was a bit of a special day. Not quite as special as it should have been, but pretty special. BBC Radio London midday show host, Eddie Nestor had invited me to the "BBC Make a Diference Awards Ceremony". I was slightly shocked but also honoured. I have jousted with Eddie for years on the radio, mostly playfully, but I had no idea that he actually liked me enough to want to see me in the flesh. As most readers know, I am a big supporter of the BBC and think it is one of the UK's greatest institutions and well worth fighting for. It was a real honour for one of my favourite hosts to invite me to one of the biggest events in their calendar. When I arrived I was reminded of just what a legacy the BBC has, when I was greeted by a Dalek in reception! No broadcaster on the planet has the rich legacy of the BBC.
We had a pre awards snack and a glass of bubbly on the tax payer in the cafe before. Most pleasant, whilst they prepared the stage. We were able to watch this on a large telly in the media cafe.
We saw the various nominees and hosts arrive and many had their picture taken. Most were just very ordinary people, who were being recognised for doing good in the community. The Barnet Eye used to do a similar thing with our community awards ceremony until covid stopped it. It wasn't until people started to tell me how great it was to get some appreciation that I realised the true worth of what I was doing. It also lead to several of our awards winners getting natiional awards, as people saw that they were doing great stuff. So I get it and understand why it is important.

One of the nice things was to meet a few of the BBC presenters. They all seem like lovely people. I'd not met them in person before, but I had a quick chat with Jim Davis, who is as lovely as he sounds on air. They were mingling and chatting. Jim came to where we were sitting to say hello to the doggies. Jim, like me, has a soft spot for dogs. We had an all too brief chat, but it was great to put a face to the voice. Riz Lateef was also greeting people and seemed lovely. All of the presenters were helping out ushering people.We made our way to the seats. We had the best seat in the house, next to this lovely chap, who was up for an award. He really was the most gorgeous dog, far better behaved than ours! He was up for a prize, sadly he didn't win, but took it in his stride. All around us were nominees. Wonderful people who had done great things, for the love of community. Next to me was Mary, who was 95 and ran a project at St Marys Paddington, the hospital where my sisters were born. Such people really put me to shame. She was there with her crew! If ever I went to war, they are the sort of people I'd want on my side, the sort of people who make the UK great. There is a view that Superheroes kill people, wear capes and fly. They don't. They just do good things because they are beautiful people. They don't want rewards or accolda
 |
| Sonna Rele performing |
There was a big surprise for me. One of the guest artists was the amazing
Sonna Rele. I've known Sonna for years. She is an amazing artist, but has had serious health issues, which prevented her from performing. She has used the studios for a very long time, but I was worried that she had to hang her boots up. When she took to the stage, it was a real joy. Even better is that she announced that she is on the new series of The Voice. After the show we caught up. She is a really special soul. She explained that she had managed to heal her health issues holistically without medicine and was using her platform to promote a new therapy for the condition. I have always believed that artists should use their platform for good and it is no surprise that Sonna buys into that ethos as well.
 |
David and Carrie Grant
|
Another treat was being able to watch Carrie and David Grant perform a short set. David is a wonderful performer. After the show, I caught up with them oustide and had a chat. David is going on tour next year, having got the bug for live performance again following a recent show at the Union Chapel. I am a fan of Britfunk and Lynx were an excellent band. They are a really inspirational couple and have done so much behind the scenes mentoring of artist in the UK, work which goes totally unmentioned most of the time. Our own vocal coach at the studios Joshua Alamu, is among those mentored by David and Carrie over the years. They also do a hell of a lot of other great work in the community. To me they were very fitting performers for the show.
 |
| The Winners |
At the end, all of the winners gathered on the stage for a group shot. It is funny to think that this picture contains 12 people who have touched thousands of lives in a really positive way, not for accolades, money or gongs. Just because it is the right thing to do. It so is easy to be cynical in this day and age. The people in this picture are the perfect antidote to that. A group of people who didn't seek acclaim and some who genuinely seemed embarrassed by it.
The first year we did the Barnet Eye awards, various community groups showed up. We gave them a printed citation and I put a blog up saying why they deserved the citation. All showed up with family, friends and people associated with their group. When I saw a full pub for the awards, I felt really embarrassed. I hadn't organised a buffet, got them a free drink. I'd simply printed a piece of paper and I read out the award. At the end I apologised to a few of them and said I felt bad I hadn't done more. The response was the same from all "It is just nice to know a few people appreciate what we've done". In fact a couple said that they didn't even realise they were doing something special until they got the award. It's just what they do. I saw exactly the same ethos from these wonderful people.
 |
| Me in the bar after |
After the show, I went for a very quick drink (at my own expense) in the bar with Clare. We saw the various winners and nominee's chatting with some of the presenters and hosts. They seemed chuffed. It made me think that there are currently calls in some quarters, mainly on the right, to "defund the BBC". The same people applaud when crypto billionaires pump tens of millions of pounds into UK political parties. Do they not realise that these people are not on their side. One of the truly great things about the UK is that we have braodcasting that is not controlled by billionaires. Billionaires don't like that, but sane, rational, ordinary people should. The BBC doesn't always get it right. I have called them out here,but the alternative to having a BBC is simply to have the mega rich completely in control of what content we consume. People say "Well on X.COM it is comepletely democratic and anyone can post anything" Whilst anyone can post anything, they control who sees what is posted. That is why you may have thousands of followers, but your posts get no views and no engagement. My main X.COM account has been suspended. I have no idea why, they won't tell me. Was it because I was mildly critical of Elon Musk? I have no idea. Can you imaging any other walk of life, where you simply cease to exist and they refuse to tell you why? It completely focused my mind on the potential for misuse of power by the rich and powerful and why the BBC is so important, but enough of me ranting and back to the matter in hand.
For all its faults, the BBC is ours. It has the backs of people who build communitee, such as the people in the picture. It is not in hock to advertisers or people chasing ratings. Like all public bodies, it makes mistakes, gets it wrong, screws up. But it gets it right 99% of the time and it is ours. I genuiney think that if the UK sells out the BBC it sells out its soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment