Many years ago, I used to work in IT support for a card processing company. I wroked in London, but the people we supported were based in Gateshead up north. I use dtos peak to the supervisor most days. Although she lived in Tyneside, Jackie was originally a Cockney and had moved up North when she married. I think she was a bit older than me, but we had a great rapport and a lot of banter. At the time, the terrible Soham murders occurred. I had a 7 year old daughter at the time. I watched the coverage on TV and I commented to Jackie "That was awful to watch as a father" and commented about the distraught reaction of the caretaker, Ian Huntley. Jackie said "He did it, you wait". I was quite shocked when she said it. It is a terrible accusation to make. A few days later, Huntley was arrested. I was absolutely shocked, but I remember Jackie's comment. so I asked her how she knew. She explained that before she had kids she'd been in the Police. She said that she could instinctively spot the culprit and explained how many of the things the Police do are to trap people they suspect, getting them to reveal details only the killer could know. Even so, to spot it from a two minute TV interview surprised me. Over the next couple of years, every time there was a high profile murder, she'd tell me the murderer before the arrest. I asked her whether it was all down to understanding police techniques, or was it something else. She replied "My superpower is that I can always spot someone lying, if there is a murder, why would someone lie, unless they were involved?". I said "But there are people who confess to everything, what about them, they are lying". She replied "Yes but they are attention seekers lying to draw attention to themselves, you can spot them a mile off".
I thought it was a real shame that Jackie wasn't still in the police, because she was very good at it. She explained a few dead giveaways on how to spot someone lying. Her technique was totally flawless. I am not in her league though. I was thinking about Jackie and her superpower yesterday, for no particular reason. It got me thinking of other people I knew who had superpowers. My Dad always claimed he could make weather and strange as it may seem, we believed him. One of my Dad's customers was a fairly major gangster. I can remember my Dad chatting to him over a cup of tea, when he collected his car. They were having a bit of a laugh over his nefarious activities. I'll never forget him saying "You know, there is no such thing as innocent and guilt, there is just getting away with it or getting caught". Dad said "So what is the secret of getting away with it?". He replied "I can spot a copper a mile off and I get a feeling when they are on their way and scarper". They both laughed. He went on "They sent one to spy on me, I twigged straight away and got him to get rid of the opposition instead".
Another friend of mine sent me a message about ten years ago. She said "Be really careful in London, something terrible is going to happen". She had never said such a thing before, but I took heed. The next morning, I awoke to the news that Grenfell Tower was on fire. She messaged to say that this was the disaster. That is not a power I'd like, to be able to know bad things are coming, but do nothing about it.
Sadly,not everyone's superpower is used for good. I have known one or two who an unfortuate talent for making people do things they don't want or shouldn't do. They almost seem able to cast a hypnotic spell over their victims. It always ends the same and the victims can never really understand how they fell for it. The US government and the Soviets spent billions on programmes designed to use and develop psychic powers for military gain. Depending on who you believe, this was either a stunning success or a terrible flop. I would advise anyone with any sort of telepathic powers to never tell a soul and only use them when no one is around. I suspect that if you don't you end up in a government lab, in most unfortunate circumstances
When I was a kid, I wanted the powers of Superman, but I realised that it is actually a terrible gig. I do have a rather strange superpower. I am very lucky. Not in raffles, lotteries, etc, but in life. The right people come into my life at just the time I need them. It is not a glamorous superpower, but I suspect it is the best one of all.
What is your special power? Do you use it for good or evil? Has it made you money or just caused you grief? I'd be intrigued to know.
1 comment:
Cat Whispering
Post a Comment