Wednesday 15 June 2011

Barnet Council - Sick of being Sick

Well unlike all of my comrades in the United Union of Barnet Bloggers, I didn't attend the Council meeting where a new cabinet was announced. It all sounds a bit strange. If I believe  the texts I've just read, then it all sounds a bit surreal. The bloke who lost the Leadership contest by a country mile (Councillor Andrew Harper) becomes deputy leader (again). What sort of message does this send. The new Leader could have sent a strong message to the people of Barnet that a different tack was being taken. I am interested in the fact that from what I've heard, only Melvin Cohen has lost his job. I had heard that this was likely to happen.

The best news for us all is that Barnet's most controversial blogger has been promoted. Of course, I'm not supposed to know about that am I? I wonder if he ever had the guts to apologise to the Labour Councillors who he slurred and got a severe dressing down from Mike Freer MP for. Let's hope he's grown up a little and seen the error of his ways. It will be interesting to see if don't call me Dave has anything to add on this matter.

You may wonder why  chose to sit this meeting out. I am saving myself for the METPRO audit meeting tomorrow and I had a rehearsal for the Mill Hill Music Festival gig, we are playing on Sat 25th.  The Damned do a fine song called sick of being sick. This sums up how I feel about Barnet Council right now. Mind you however sick I feel, the issue is important enough that we have to feed off our anger. There is a job to be done.

2 comments:

Mrs Angry said...

actually, I was the only one of us there: I'm sure you would have been thrilled, as I was, to hear our friend Brian refer to 'dodgy bloggers'- whatever did he mean? I was too busy at the time to pay much attention as I was busy counting the number of dodgy Tory councillors ... blog later ot tomorrow morning ...

Don't Call Me Dave said...

It seems that Richard Cornelius has failed his first test. Any new leader should seek to impose his or her authority. That does not mean making wholesale changes to the cabinet just for the sake of it, but some change is clearly a necessity. However, whilst Melvin Cohen is no great loss to the Cabinet, the idea of Tom Davey being a suitable replacement is risible. He has no experience of the real world and is demonstrably immature.

Similarly, it seems quite odd to keep Andrew Harper in the cabinet when he received an overwhelming vote of no confidence by his fellow councillors only a few days ago, yet the person who was only one vote away from becoming leader last year (Mark Shooter) remains on the back benches.

I understand that Joanna Tambourgreedy has been given Melvin Cohen’s planning portfolio. What on earth was Cllr Cornelius thinking? Mrs Tambourgreedy is a jumped up office clerk who has neither the wit nor wherewithal to handle such an important portfolio. The officers will concrete over the borough under her charge.

As I stated on Mrs Angry’s blog, Cllr Cornelius will prove himself to be as effective a leader as the last Totteridge councillor to hold that position. My prediction is that he will not lead the Conservatives into the 2014 election.