Thursday 30 June 2011

Me and the Mill Hill Music Festival

So we're half way thru the music festival now. So far every gig has been well attended, with all having at least 100 people in attendence. One wag came up to me last night and said that if nothing else, I've proven I could organise a piss up in a brewery (although most of the hard work has been done by the rest of the committee).

A big change at this festival, compared to the last one is just how many people are aware of the blog.  There are also loads of people who I haven't seen since I was canvassing at the local elections last year. As the blog is about the festival this week, I won't go into this too much, but it is nice to have people recognise the efforts. Some of you have said that you'd prefer the blog to carry on with it's usual theme's this week, but I don't think that would be fair on the rest of the committee, as the festival is a cross community event. I don't see it as an excuse to promote whatever I do here.

The question was asked last night "What is the purpose of the festival?" It's quite simple. It is to promote live music in Mill Hill. We aim to give everyone a week of great music, at an affordable cost on their doorstep. We try and have a diverse selection of styles of music at a selection of different venues. Some are free, where the pubs pay the artists out of bar takings (Three Hammers, Adam & Eve), some we charge, this covers the cost of staging the festival. Some are put on by other organisations, we just promote them (St Vincents School, Mill Hill Jazz club). It is all about trying to build  a better community around the festival.

For some people, the gigs at John Keble & St Pauls may be the only time they set foot in a church this year. As these buildings, religious connotations aside, are great places for music, it opens up areas of the community. All gigs have breaks/intermissions, where people can catch up with old friends and sometimes make some new ones ! I'm a musician. I run a music related business, providing music rehearsal and recording facilities and selling musical instruments. I've run it for 32 years and I'm now seeing some of our original customers coming in with their grandchildren (or even great grandchildren). This year's festival celebrates 18 years of the festival. It has changed as it has gone along. I hope it's got better. It's true to say you can't please all the people all the time, but I sincerely hope we've brought a little happiness to a few people week. 

No comments: