Thursday 23 June 2011

Dyslexic with the attention span of a gnat

Yup, that's me. Sometimes I'm intently watching something on the TV and there's a commercial break. I decide to go to the Toilet. When I've finished, I decide to make a cup of tea. Whilst the kettle is boiling, I check my emails. I get an email from an employee at Barnet Council and I start doing a bit of research. I find out that the issue is actually far worse than even they suspected and much of the info is public domain, which any organisation which performed a bit of due diligence would have spotted. I write a blog. Being dyslexic, this takes ages. I proof read it three times. By this time it is well past midnight, the family has gone to bed and I'm knackered.

It takes a toll. You end up tired and ratty. You ask yourself why you do it? You wonder if you are becoming obsessive, to add to the list of things wrong with your brain. You wonder if anyone gives a shit. This goes on for years and years. Then something like Metpro blows up. You feel vindicated. You feel that all the hard work may have some sort of payoff, that maybe, just maybe it has all been worth it and you might see a small change for the better, because the evidence is there in black and white. But ......

You realise that the people who allowed the mess to develop are still in place.

You realise that the people who need to sort the problem out aren't in the least bit interested in doing their job and making this happen.

So what do you do? You write to the Secretary of state responsible. You get no reply.

So what do you do then? You suddenly remember that maybe, just maybe, you have access to someone who can give him an almighty kick up his fat useless arse.

So what do you do then? Well that would be telling wouldn't it.

But if any of you have dyslexic kids, with the attention span of a gnat, don't get disheartened. One day your kids may do something vaguley useful. I just hope that unlike my parents, you live long enough to see that day.

On a completely different subject entirely. I'd really like to sit down and have a chat with the CEO of Barnet Nick Walkley and the Local Government secretary Eric Pickles. I'd like to know if maybe they'd be interested in organising a seminar on how bloggers can make a positive contribution to democracy and local government. I think Barnet provides and excellent example of how this can happen. Give us a bell chaps.

1 comment:

Mr Mustard said...

That's funny Roger, my co-Director has been complaining about me being obsessed about Barnet Council and couldn't I do some work which will make us some money? At that point I ask her what she is surfing and it isn't usually work. You are not alone.