Tuesday 7 June 2011

A messsage to all Barnet Councillors regarding the Metpro Audit Report

It may surprise the readers of the Barnet Eye to hear that I believe most Barnet Councillors are decent people who became councillors for the right reason. Last night I attended a presentation at the Town Hall, where the proceeds of the previous Mayors appeal was handed over to two excellent charities, Noahs Ark Childrens Hospice and Camp Simcha. Both received cheques for over £30,000. This was raised by the hard work of Councillor Tony Finn and his excellent team of fundraisers and will make a huge difference to many people's lives. I applaud such efforts and support such appeals. They give the causes profile and are an example of people doing a great job.

I had a chat with the new Mayor, Councillor Lisa Rutter and will be supporting her appeal, both financially and here in the blog. I have a simple request to all of our councillors this morning. I am asking them to read the report into the Metpro Scandal and having read it, take whatever action they feel appropriate to ensure that the lessons are learned. I believe that only a full and far reaching independent inquiry into the whole process of procurement, and a moratorium on outsourcing until the process has been fixed is the only appropriate next step.

No comments: