Wednesday 22 June 2011

No !

I had a short conversation tonight regarding the Barnet Council Metpro Audit. They asked a simple question. If the council fully implement all of the recommendations of the audit committee will that be enough?

The answer is no. This is not because I'm a member of the audit squad or unreasonable. It is because the terms of reference of the audit inquiry were flawed. Many of the most serious issues were "out of scope". I fully agree that many things in Barnet would be greatly improved by implementing the findings. The serious point which has emerged (and been reinforced as I reviewed and edited the video footage of the meeting) is that there are matters which haven't even been looked at.

I have to ask myself why? Is it because the CEO of the council doesn't care? I doubt it, I'm sure he's a decent chap at heart. Is it because he's scared of just what might be found and what the implications for his future career prospects are? I've no idea, but if that is the reason, I am truly horrified. I am disturbed by some of the comments made in the two clips I've already posted. I'm even more disturbed at a couple of comments in the next clip.

What is the most disturbing fact of all is that, even though I was at the meeting, with a team of fellow Barnet bloggers, with all  of the crap coming out at the meeting, we missed key sections. Councillor Richard Cornelius, the new Leader of the Council would, I'm sure, be concerned had these issues been brought to his attention, but because there was no recording, apart from the Barnet Eye video, no one would have told him so he'd never know.

There can no longer be the slightest doubt that in a democracy all public meetings should be recorded. If anyone tells you differently, review the clips I've posted. If anyone asks you if there is any good reason why council meetings are not recorded, the answer is simple and straightforward. No

No comments: