Sunday 20 December 2015

Mad Friday, more like a mad weekend!


I am writing this before I turn in for the night. I am absolutely shattered. I have been on the go since about 6:30 am Friday, when I got up to see building contractors, who are starting a job for a family business. As we had the Barnet Eye awards on Friday night, the day was spent making last minute arrangements. My band, the False Dots were also appearing, so there was a lot of work to do and equipment to be delivered. As it was the evening was a phenomenal success. In previous years, the awards were just something I casually put together for a bit of fun. This year, we did it properly, sought nominations and had a system of judging, giving proper citations.i think this was a great success. I think the awards were brilliant and the recipients excellent. Of eight categories, only one was my nomination. I've learned a lot in the process.  Perhaps the biggest lesson is that if you want people to receive their certificate, you don't arrange the ceremony for 'mad Friday'. The gig was packed and amazing. I am blessed to play with three fantastic musicians.

Saturday was just as hectic, another early start, with a hangover! Much running round collecting gear, I had to speak to Robert Elms about Save London Music. I also had to drop off and rig a PA system in West Hampstead for the James Hunter gig in West Hampstead for my buddy Lyn Boorer. This involved another late night and more beer! We got a great sound after early hiccups. We finished up home at 2am. 

This morning we got up early, took the dogs across the park, I went to a Mass (always good to keep on the right side of the Almighty in Xmas week). Lovely service with about 50 small children singing away in a manger. You'd need a stone heart not to well up. Then we drove to Burnham on Crouch for my god sons 24th Birthday. He's grown into a fine young man. He's a teacher at a local comprehensive school, the one where he was educated. I think he gives a good role model to the kids.

We had to get back for 6pm as Jazz legend Ian Shaw was playing at The Chandos in Colindale. It was a great gig. I love the pub and its owners Ara and Emily. They gave regenerated a clapped out failing pub and deserve the support of all the community.

And now I sleep, goodnight

No comments: