Friday 27 March 2009

God Bless the Pope - a local Tory talks sense

It is always refreshing to hear some common sense. When it comes from an unexpected quarter, it is even better. We live in a democracy. We cherish our freedom, yet today in 2009, we still have state sponsored religious bigotary. This is totally unacceptable. We have a sexist constitution. Do you think Queen Elizabeth 1st & 2nd & Queen Victoria were/are successful Monarchs? If any of them had a younger brother or had married a Roman Catholic they would be barred from the job. Now I disagree with the principle of Monarchy, but if we have to have it, lets at least make it non sexist & non secretarian.

In years gone by, the Northern Irish situation would have been resolved by Prince William marrying a nice Irish girl. Now I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but if he wanted to, why shouldn't he. We have an established Church. I have no problem with the Church of England. I'm a Roman Catholic, but I think all religion is a personal issue. It is completely wrong to let any religion get it's fingers into the wheels of political power. In actual fact, I think it diminishes the message of faith. St Pauls Cathedral is one of my favourite buildings in London. Wren was a genius, but all the dead soldiers tombs make it very hard for me personally to talk to God in such an environment. Wren himself didn't want tombs there.

Anyway, I'd just like to say that I agree with the views of the Tory Candidate for West Harrow, Dr Rachel Joyce on this. Don't agree with her on too much else, but credit where credit is due. We need dragging into the 21st Century and her idea of a referendum on the role of the Church of England is a good one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amendments require legislation; that requires ROYAL ASSENT. I'm intrigued as to how you reckon that could be got round?!!

PCS Will

Rog T said...

PCS Will,

I'd assume that if Parliament pass a law, the Queen by convention signs it.I'm afraid I'm not a constitutional expert so I've no idea what happens if she says no. My guess is that in the end common sense would prevail.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing she wouldn't be bothered and would sign off the legislation without batting an eyelid.

Have to say though there are more pressing issues for the powers that be to raise as 'issues of the day' that really matter to the man on the street.

Crusty said...

The bar on Catholics marrying royalty is the biggest reason why I am anti-monarchy. Why should I show any loyalty to an institution that shows no loyalty to me? These penal laws should have come off the statute book years ago.

Anonymous said...

Royal Assent hasn't been refused since Queen Anne and yes it is a convention that it isn't refused. But it can be refused nevertheless - conventions are not law. So, if she really felt she should remain head of the church - well, that would be that.

This is actually the safety-valve in our democracy - the monarch can refuse royal assent, and the armed forces are answerable to the monarch, not to parliament; so if an idiot piece of legislation were to be attempted it can in theory be stopped. But it's never been invoked since Charles 1st though!