Monday 30 March 2009

Barnets most sensible Tory !

I have a radical suggestion for the Barnet Conservatives. One which will transform their policies and cut the tax bill to all residents, in the process making them massively popular. The cuts will not affect popular services such as the warden service for sheltered accomodation and will not alienate vast swathes of the electorate. All they will be doing is applying traditional sensible Conservative policies in a manner designed to help everyone in the borough. Now normally I would refrain from doing anything to help the Tories, but if the current bunch of crackpots who are in charge go on for much longer, I shudder to think of the consequences. When the first old lady who's sheltered accomodation warder has been dismissed dies, I won't be sitting there smugly, saying "told you so" I'll be weeping with impotent rage. That is why I'm prepared to give the Tories a way out.

Councillor Richard Weider, councillor for Edgware ward has resigned. There will be a byelection in June. This presents the Tories with an opportunity to get in someone who can do the job properly. They have the opportunity to appoint someone who knows what waste there is in the council and what to do about it. I think there can only be one candidiate. David Miller, who runs the Barnet Council watch blog is the ideal man. Today David published his 100th blog. I've read every single one of them. I don't agree with David's wider political views, but he's

a) Very Courageous, unlike his Tory opponents who won't put a name on their criticisms.
b) Very Meticulous, if like me you've read every word of his blogs, you'd know he gets detail.
c) Very Honest, he tells the truth about the council.

Not only that, but he has a plan to get Barnet finances back on track without killing old dears. I have long berated Mike Freer and Matthew Offord for lacking leadership skills. They have a golden opportunity. Make David Miller the candidate and announce that when he wins you'll immediately appoint him leader and back every decision he makes.

One last question you may want to know. Would I personally vote for him? Nope. I'd vote Labour, but then I'm a swivel eye'd Trotskyite Looney ! If however you are a sensible Tory and you care about Barnet, you really should.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually Rog, when you put this:

"Councillor Richard Weider, councillor for Edgware ward has resigned"

According to the Hendon Times he has not resigned, he is still dealing with correspondance from residents from his home!

Rog T said...

Dave

I bow to your superior knowledge. I assumed he was "working his notice" as the election has been called for June. In his case I suspect he's one councillor who is better off working from home, based on my experience of him

Don't Call Me Dave said...

Rog

I am flattered at your suggestion, but am ineligible to stand as the Conservative candidate as I am a member of Chipping Barnet Conservatives, not Hendon.

If I was ever daft enough to run for council, the only position I would like to hold is that of Chairman of the Cabinet & Overview Scrutiny Committee and I can’t imagine too many councillors would want me doing that job because of my annoying habit of reading council papers and asking awkward questions!

Duncan Macdonald said...

Rog

I suspect that your endorsement has just scuppered the already slim chance that David had of being selected by any of Barnet's conservative Associations!

Anonymous said...

@Rog - he won't have resigned yet as they would then lose control of the date of the election. Should, I think, 2 voters in the Ward call for an election following resignation it must be called before June.

@Don'tCallMeDave - what are Hendon Association now to do with the 7,000 leaflets they much have printed based on Rog's endorsement...

Well this is all sure to be fun. This is Barnet's first Blogging By Election. Time to dust down the video cameras and start Michael Crick style by-election reporting.

Interviews with all of the candidates? Going out following the canvassing teams?

AdamJacobson said...

Rog

Very good article but surely David is the second most sensible Tory in Barnet. Baroness Miller is the most sensible.

TTFN
Adam

Rog T said...

Adam,

Couldn't possibly comment. I've not read her blog?

AdamJacobson said...

Surely she doesn't need to blog as well?

Barnet Council Watching said...

"I suspect that your endorsement has just scuppered the already slim chance that David had of being selected by any of Barnet's conservative Associations!"

We hope so!

Rog T said...

Dear Barnet Council Watching,

You've just demonstrated what I have long suspected. You really aren't very bright are you?

You see, me being a crafty Trotskyite has laid a trap. You have fallen into it. I suggest the best possible solution for the Tories. They decide that because I suggested it, they can't possibly do it. You all slap yourself on the back, whilst destroying any chance of redeeming the reputation of the Tories.

Ha Ha, you mug !