Wednesday 4 March 2009

The Madman speaks

I've had a pretty difficult few days. You may have noticed that I've been a bit busier than usual here on the blog. That's because I've been at home when I'd normally be working. The reason? My dear mother in law passed away from lung cancer early on Tuesday morning. Whilst my beloved has been mourning, I've been doing the running around after the kids, which has given me ample time stuck in front of the computer. Plenty of time to read that the council leader thinks I'm a one armed blogging lunatic.

Tonight the Barnet Trades Council organised a meeting to discuss Future Shape. I'd always intended going, but in the circumstances felt that I should be at home. At around 5pm my wife said "Aren't you going to the meeting". I replied "I don't think thats appropriate". She said "yes it is" So off I went. Now normally I prep up for these things and know exactly what I want to say. I planned to say nothing and then go home. Vicki Morris, a local trades union organiser kicked off the meeting and introduced the good Professor Dexter Whitfield from the European Strategy Centre. The good prof outlined the background to future shape and why it's a bad idea as private companies fall like dominoes.

Vicki then invited questions. One local resident asked "Who are these people, how do we sack them". At this someting clicked. I stood up and introduced myself. I felt every person in the rooms eyes on me. They had a look of apprehension. Having not shaved for a few days and wearing my oldest clothes, they clearly thought "The Town Loonie is here"I explained the recent history of the local Tory Party. How Salinger won the election & got deposed immediately. How Freer took over and launched huge spending on Future shape. How it wasn't in the manifesto. I explained about what happened to my mother when Meals on wheels were outsourced by Barnet. I also explained how Freer had called me a one armed blogging lunatic. They laughed - with me or at me. I wasn't sure. I guess I looked like a one armed blogging looney.

Vicki indicated to me I'd had my time and I sat down. I got a big round of applause. Did they still think I was a lunatic - who knows. A few more suggestions, the best of which was a rather well spoken chap who suggested civil insurrection and occupation of council offices. He didn't look like che Guevera but he'd read the manual !

We had a few more questions, then a little speech from the UCW guys about Post Office Privatisation. It seems this is even less popular than Future Shape. Local Labour MP Andrew Dismore stood up to try and explain the logic behind Post Office privatisation, but the crowd were having none of it.

Vicki then cut Andrew off and we got a further 5 minutes from the Prof. He recapped on why privatisation was a bad idea. The crowd then convened into two workshop groups. Various campaigning suggestions were discussed. Due to circumstances at home, I left early.

As I drove home, I pondered on the meeting. It wasn't filled with what I'd call the usual suspects. People are genuinely worried and upset by the proposals. If we can organise a campaign that exploits that we may succeed in reversing this crazy policy. I was struck by the number of people who I wouldn't expect to see at a trades union meeting. A rather nice lady spoke about the contempt with which Freer's council had treated her and her residents group. They should have invited a few of the backbench Tory councillors along. I suspect these are the people who will ultimately kill this proposal, when they realise that their own core vote are upset.

As I left a couple of people came up to me and said they were rather moved by what I'd said. Maybe I'm not a nutcase after all?

No comments: