Wednesday 2 March 2011

Barnet Council Budget - The Council meeting from Hell

Friends, Romans,Countrymen, Lend me your ears, I come to Praise Hillan, not to bury her.



So I didn't actually get into the Council Chamber. I'd been tipped off about the security arrangements, but I hadn't really appreciated just how heavy handed these would be. Is this what Barnet Council meetings have come to. Pensioners threatened by thugs in black combat gear. Residents treated like dirt. The Metropolitan police overruled by God knows who. Members of the public lied to by council officials as to available seats.

The public have a right to see what is going on at these meetings. The council could easily have broadcast this live on the web. Unison have managed to broadcast two recent rallys on www.Gotseen.com, so we know it can be done. It cost Unison next to nothing to do this.

The above video is of some scenes outside. I got a calls later in the Evening from friends who were inside the building. It sounded like a scene from some sort of futuristic fascist regime. This is Barnet, for Gods sake.

I started this blog with a rather famous quote. I suspect that some time soon, Lynne Hillan will be saying "Et Tu Coleman". I have spoken to a few Tory councillors in the past few days and hours. They didn't sign up for this. I suspect a few of them actually enjoyed it, but the penny has finally dropped with a fair number. You just can't treat the public like this and get away with it.

Let me tell you  something. When I got given the details of what the Tories were planning, I discussed it with Barnet Unison Leader John Burgess. He didn't believe that Barnet Council would be so heavy handed. I told him they were panicing and had lost the plot. I told John that I was worried that people may get hurt. I hadn't appreciated that the "private security force" would seem to be in charge of the Police and ignore senior officers who would be overruled. I had deliberately decided to film the meeting last night (Monday) as I got the impression that the security would be heavier tonight and it may be harder to make my point. How right I was. Whilst Hugh Rayner was rude and obnoxious, it was nothing compared to what the people who got in experienced tonight.

It really was sickening

Here are some more clips from alangleben's Video channel - see previous posys


Stop Press : It appears that Barnet Council Officers now recognise that it is illegal to stop people videoing meetings, so long as they are not disruptive - From Adams Twitter Account

A small victory on a truly awful night

adamlangleben

  1. @barnetbugle he told me to stop after a signal from #Coleman and then democratic services came over and said I was allowed... Warned him off

2 comments:

baarnett said...

Well done Roger, for getting the report together.

In terms of recording the council, the regime may have won some battles, but they are clearly losing the war.

Rog T said...

Baarnett,

Given that Hillan said that meetings wouldn't be video'd I'd say she's lost the battle and the war