Wednesday 23 March 2011

Top Ten Things To Do In The London Borough of Barnet

I got asked by the Londonist Listings website to list my top ten things in Barnet.

http://londonist.com/2011/03/top-ten-things-to-do-in-the-borough-of-barnet.php

They say a holiday is as good as a rest. It's great to write a blog occasionally about the good things in Barnet. Feel free to add your picks for the benefit of our fellow Londoners. And in answer to the question you will doubtless ask, if you know me, when you read it. Yes I am !

4 comments:

baarnett said...

Sorry to be pedantic, Roger:

"St Paul’s was built by William Wilberforce, the man who drove through the campaign to abolish slavery."

The slave trade, Roger. It took another 25 years to abolish slavery in the British Empire - although he lived to see it pass through the House of Commons.

P.Dant.

baarnett said...

And as for the date of the First Battle of the Marne, I daren't say anything.

But it is still a great list. Nice borough, shame about the council.

Rog T said...

Baarnett, like many things, there is much more to the story than two lines in a blog could ever hope to accomodate. I would urge all readers to check out any one of the numerous books about his life and his work. I'm not a historian, but I don't mind corrections and clarifications at all. I just wish some of our present day Barnet politicians were of the calibre of Wilberforce.

Do you think any bloggers in 200 years time (if such things still exist) will be commemorating any of them, being pedantic about their achievements or urging people to check out their lifes work.

Rog T said...

As for the date of the Battle of Marne, I took that directly from Wikipedia. Yes I know I really should know better.