Thursday 12 December 2019

The Hamster Plague of Burnt Oak!

Back in 1983, Burnt Oak was overrun with Hamsters, a story that made ITV news. A local Labour Councillor Jim Brophy was shot with an air pellet by hamster hunters.



This mysterious plague has always intrigued me, not least as I went to Orange Hill School, which was next to the allotments which was the base of the hamsters in their plan for world domination. BBC Radio London presenter Robert Elms was also an ex Orange Hill boy and his mum lived on the Watling, so I asked him whether his mum was one of the victims of the plague! He reassurred me that she wasn't but asked me if I'd join him on his show to ask the question of what the real story of the hamster plague was.

You can hear the whole story on BBC sounds here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07trc18 - My question is asked at 22.25. The first answer is around 1.14.52 with Kelvin. Robert thinks that it was an urban myth that started in the Bald Faced Stag.

I'd love to know if anyone actually saw any hamsters and has pictures or press cuttings. Can you help solve the mystery?

-----

The Midland Hotel in Hendon is under threat. Developers want to knock it down and convert it into luxury flats, join the campaign to resist this!

Please join us on Friday 13th December at 8pm at The Midland Hotel, Hendon, for the Barnet Eye Community awards and annual Xmas party. We are also looking for nominations for our community awards, click here for details. Free admission


1 comment:

Andrew Blunt said...

The hamsters were being put through letterboxes by somebody who lived next door to my mother in Hook Walk.