So how has your week been? Mine has been pleasant enough. Having had a dry two weeks at the start of January, I thoroughly enjoyed having a couple of beers and watching Hadley FC yesterday (more of that later). On the work front, we had the hassle of a break in at our premises on Thursday night. The hassle that scumbags who thieve and rob cause for small businesses trying to survive a pandemic is absolutely unforgiveable. Whilst insurance covers the cost of losses, it doesn't cover the stress, aggrevation and general unpleasantness of what you have to deal with. Please support your local small businesses and please do not buy hooky goods. You are just encouraging scumbags who need no encouragement.
Anyway, enough of my week. What have the esteemed tweeters of the Borough of Barnet been up to?
1. Lets start with the best goal you'll see in the Borough of Barnet this year. A cracking game at Brickfield Lane last night
GOAL 38’ Cameron Ferguson curls one into the top corner to put us 3-0 up— Hadley FC (@hadleyfc) January 15, 2022
HAD 3-0 HOL pic.twitter.com/JwiLE0rwb8
2. This is a tragedy. The Station that never was. Mill Hill Tube station, which would have made getting between Edgware, Mill Hill, Finchley and surrounding areas far better, reducing pollution etc
The station that vanished - well, some of it. The curious tale of Mill Hill (The Hale) station #London that should have been on the #Underground but wasn't except by bus. #architecture #railway #Transport #Transportation— Mike.Ashworth (@Mikeashworth12) January 13, 2022
3. Following up on one of last weeks selection, Mr Ian McGreevy, our unofficial loca roads correspondent, has produced a definitive guide to the abandoned accesses to the M1 motorway in Mill Hill.
The evolution of the "M1 Hendon Urban Motorway" (to give its official title) through Mill Hill, crops up now and again. I thought I would put a bit of a Timeline on a map for those interested. pic.twitter.com/6FMeQPyiPa— Ian McGreevy (@ian_mcgreevy) January 10, 2022
4. And now for something completely different. A big shout out to the rather marvellous Silkstreamers and the amazing work they are doing preserving our local waterways. Mind you, not sure if the paddling pool would have too many takers.
#BurntOakBrook @Thames21 at #WatlingPark today! A lot of work has been done to open up the area, which creates nice park/river views and makes the stream more accessible!#BurntOak #Barnet #Silkstream pic.twitter.com/L6jTPKLcvc— Friends of the Silk Stream (@silkstreamers) January 15, 2022
5. If you want to get included in this list, a bit of gold dust North London music history is a surefire way, This is brilliant. I loved the Torrington
Fantastic album 👌 Steve my mum and dad use to go down the Torrington pub in finchley North London and watch them play. They were so good speedy king on bass, the great mick green on guitar and the epic cliff Bennett from the rebel rousers on vocals. pic.twitter.com/tDMPtNeAFs— Gary Summers (@bullterrier80) January 14, 2022
6. This is a great pic.
7. I can thoroughly recommend this. A great way to learn about one of London's finest green sapces
You can sign up to the walks on our website - click on the buttons on the relevant pages. Just show up for the birdwatch here: https://t.co/rbH9ntTXvz— Heath Hands (@HeathHands) January 6, 2022
8. The most wonderful tree in Totteridge
My fave heritage treasure from last year was this yew tree in Totteridge. It's thought to be London's oldest tree, estimated up to 2000 years of age. One of the #GreatTreesOfLondon @bluecrowmedia @TheStreetTree #HeritageTreasures https://t.co/EN8ZAzg7DP pic.twitter.com/AhZuDft5jj— Jamie Singleton (@JamSingleton) January 11, 2022
9. It's how things get better. Please make the effort
We are kindly asking that if you have not already done so, please could you assist us with completing our Ward Panel Survey— Edgware Police (@MPSEdgwareSX) January 8, 2022
It really helps us to know what is an issue and problem at the moment, that you feel needs to be a priority on the Edgware Ward.https://t.co/7tngWZhQAB
10. A tale of dodgy drummers and rule breaking!
Best bit of dodgers was the band who rang up to cancel a booking last minute. To avoid cancellation charges, said the drummers Granny had passed away. Sadly they forgot to tell the drummer, who turned up and had to pay. He wasn’t best pleased— #MillHillMusicComplex (@MillHillMusicCo) January 15, 2022
That's all folks!