Saturday 7 October 2023

The Saturday List #419 - Ten redundant items that I can't dispose of

 I rail against the tyranny of the anti clutter brigade. For me, clutter makes us human. I love hanging on to useless items, most of which I have plans to do something useful with, when I have time. Here's a list of some of my favourites


1. My 8 track cartridge collection. Before cassettes, we had 8 tracks. I bought an 8 track player in 1977 and found that I could pick up 8 tracks for next to nothing. I have a large collection. In 1983, the player broke. One day I will buy another.

2. My old school books. My mum kept them all and I inherited them when she died. I was a terrible student, but I take great comfort in looking back to see just how bad I was. 


3. My collection of rusty nails and screws. These are not redundant. Theya re just rarely used. When they are needed they are highly useful, but it drives wife to despair.

4. The Link ATM Switch operations manual. Back in 1986, the Link ATM network was being put together. I worked for BT and was the first technical support manager. I kept the manual, which describes how to operate the Connex Software, which ran on a Tandem TXP computer. I occasionally look at it, to remind myself that I was actually capable of doing a sensible, responsible job on a massively successful IT project. I particularly like seeing my name in there as the Technical Support Manager. 

5. My collection of Betamax videos.  My parents had a Betamax player. We have some lovely old videos, with nothing to watch them on. One day.....


6. My punk rock T-Shirt collection. Until I was 30, I was as skinny as a rake and could wear girls t-shirts, the pic has an old Heartbreakers T Shirt on top of a new Specials on that fits. It gives you some idea, it used to be baggy. Then I became a fat bloke. I still have Ramones, Heartbreakers, Dickies t-shirts that will never fit me. My daughters nick them if I am not looking. I am part of the 0.0001% of the worlds population that wear a Ramones T-Shirt that I bought at a Ramones gig.


7. Old keys. I have a strange aversion to disposing of old keys. Of all, this is the most irrational. 

8. Old charges for broken items. I always think these may well be useful at some point or worth putting on Ebay, which of course I never do. 

9. My Mum and Dad's old photos. I am not talking about the nice ones of them together, that make us go "Awwww". I am talking about the blurry, out of focus ones of beaches in places I didn't visit. It just feels wrong.


10. Old Biscuit tins. Well, these will always come in useful at some point, won't they!

--

But, having said all of that, my family have recently been consipiring to sling stuff out. It is infuriating as they have no notion of what is useful. I was looking for some carpet tacks recently and the buggers had checked them out! 


No comments: