Sunday, 20 September 2026

The Sunday Reflection #98 - A different kind of Sunday

 I have a pretty set Sunday ritual, but that all went out of the window today. My daughter & her boyfriend bought me a pair of tickets for Man City vs Sunderland at the Etihad stadium for today. Rather annoyingly, when I went to book train tickets, we learned that Euston Station was closed. A 2 ish hour journey became a 4 hour journey, via Marylebone and Birmingham. I had to get up at 6.30 and the trains were stuffed to the brim. In short it was really unpleasant. As I’d had a late night and a good drink, you can imagine the joy of standing for an hour on a packed train, before getting a seat. At Birmingham the train split in half and it was so busy some people couldn’t board. 

By the time we were in Manchester, we were pretty frazzled. But it’s a pleasant walk along the canal and it was one of the most enjoyable games of football I’ve seen. City won 5-3. Afterwards we had a curry and I’m writing this on the train back, Euston has reopened so it should be plain sailing.

It brought home to me the fact that often the best things in life come with a cost. Although the outbound journey was awful, I saw an extraordinary match and thoroughly enjoyed my day. I guess I’ll remember the journey for ever, one of the worst. But that is a price worth paying


No comments: