Saturday 2 May 2009

Be careful what you wish for !


I thought that as it's the May Bank Holiday, I'd impart a few pearls of wisdom about my personal philosiphy for life. I was sort of pondering the May bank holiday and the roots of it. Then I looked out of our window and saw the flowering cherry tree covered in blossom and thought about my Dad. He always used to love May Day, as it was a day off, it was the start of Spring and the cherry tree outside the house was always covered in blossom. He always said that he imagined heaven to be full of beautiful lawns and flowering cherry trees. As it's the first Mayday for 22 years he's spending with my Mum (she passed away in August), I hope he's right and they are enjoying it.

My advice to you - be careful what you wish for as you may just get it. I learned this lesson in 1986, when my dear old Dad had his gall bladder removed. When I saw him in recovery, I realised for the very first time that he was mortal. I'd always believed he was totally indistructable. He looked like he'd die, in short order. I prayed, at the time I was agnostic/athiest but I prayed. I said "Dear Lord, make him get better. I just want to go out with him one more time & have a few beers and a curry". Sure enough, the indistructable old sod got better, I said to him "I'm taking you out for a beer and a curry". We went out and had a great night. A couple of weeks later, he flew out to Florida to stay with my sister who lives there. He stayed for Christmas and was planning to come back in March. Then tragedy struck in January. My mums sister, Margo died. My folks flew back.

I didn't even know they were back in the UK, as I was living a riotous life as a musician. I got a call from my eldest brother at 7am to say "Dad's dead". The stress of the flight & the cold weather, having been in Florida, killed him. My mum had 2 funerals in a week. I'd had my curry and a beer. I couldn't even feel angry, as I'd got the deal I asked for.

Anyway, my advice to all of you on this Bank Holiday weekend. For those who enjoy my blog and like most of what I write, have a lovely weekend. For those of you who hate and despise me, have a lovely weekend as well. You know, it could be worse. I'm in rude good health, but if I wasn't and I was about to depart my mortal coil, just think what I could write if I knew the men in wigs couldn't touch me. I never wish bad things on anyone, I just wish they'd stop doing the things that upset me. I find life works better like that. Yup, sure I'm bitter and cynical, but I do believe we can learn from our mistakes.

But then, like the Guinness I'm not bitter. Sorry if the slushy sentimentality isn't the usual acerbic bile, but hey, it's a holiday.

No comments: