Saturday 16 May 2009

Yet another victory for The Barnet Eye !!!!!


Regular readers of this blog will know that I've been running a campaign to expose a perceived pro Tory bias in the Barnet Times. This started when they refused to publish any letters criticising the councils warden cuts on their website. I have highlighted other examples, most recently the terrible coverage of the march through Finchley to protest about warden cuts. The Times printed lengthy quotes from Lynn Hillan, the Tory responsible, but didn't mention who organise the march (Barnet Community Campaign) or get a quote from Vicki Morris. How they could justify such one sided coverage, I don't know. The Guardian's Dave Hill picked up the story and this finally stirred the sleepy old Times into action. Tom Johnson, who to be fair is a good guy and a good journalist, emailed Dave to justify the Times action. He said that it was fair to let Hillan put her side of the story. I'd agree if they'd interviewed Vicki, but they didn't.

As I know the last thing Tom would like to be thought of is a Tory Lackey, I suspect that a little debate was had at the Times. I can't go into details, but it seems that as of yesterday the Barnet Tory Bugle is no more. The Times has reverted to being what it always used to be, a great campaigning paper. Once more they are setting the news agenda. Check their news site for some great stories - not a Tory Bugle in sight anywhere ! Even Dave Hill has recognised the improvement in this story.

I send the Times & Rebecca Lowe hearty congratulations for some great reporting. I am pleased that they have rediscovered their cojones and shoved that great big bugle right back up where the sun doesn't shine ! I had a pint or two to celebrate last night, rather ironically with a mate who is a councillor who has just been the subject of a standards inquiry. No it's not you know who. It's someone from the Wheathampstead Parish Council !

No comments: