Tuesday 5 May 2009

Kit Malthouse and all that is wrong with Britain !

I posted this blog yesterday about Kit Malthouse receiving a ticket, lunch & drinks from the FA, for the Chelsea vs Arsenal FA cup semi final. Kit promptly posted the following response to my comments (see below). My first reaction was to that I respect a man who fights his corner & is prepared to engage in a bit of discussion. I said that if anyone could show that he'd done something useful by going, I'd donate £20 to the charity of his choice. As he's done that, I've just donated £20 to the MPBF (if Kit gets in touch, I'll email the receipt through).

Anyway, having paid my dues, I have to say that I think Kit's response exemplifies much of what is wrong with Great Britain in 2009. This isn't a personal criticism of Kit Malthouse, as if I take his response at face value, he actually did a few useful things for his ticket. Let me explain my concerns.

1. Kit mentions his involvement with Kickz. No problem their, a great scheme. It is good that politicians get involved in these things. He mentions the role Chelsea play in this scheme, again commendable. How can I criticise them? Well I first went to a football match in 1971 at Spurs, with a group of other boys. I was 8 or 9. The oldest boy in the group was 13. We took a 221 bus from Mill Hill & changed at Turnpike Lane. The cost of entry was easily affordable for a group of kids, some of whom were from relatively poor homes. Would such a thing happen with Chelsea's prices today, even if you could pay at the turnstile? Working class kids have been priced out of football. For many young adults the only way to economically watch the Premiership is in a pub. This cannot be right. I've been to the FA cup final once. I'm a Manchester City fan and I queued all night at the old Wembley for a ticket for the replay vs Spurs. No prawn sandwich brigade at that match, it was a real fans final. I hate the corporatisation of football, the empty seats at half time, the fact that people with no links to clubs are given tickets so that "decisionmakers" can be influenced.

2. Kit's comment about sitting next to the head of Football Licensing Authority & discussing a role for them in the Olympics. If this is how Boris Johnson's team are planning the Olympics, lord help us. What would have happened if he'd been sat next to the chairman of The Anne Summers group. What role would they have? It seems that the Olympics are being planned over a few beers on the back of fag packets. Was this really the first time a role for the FLA has been discussed?

3. The comments about the discussions with Wembley about planning issues. I have pretty strong views on a few planning issues. I'd love to have a chat with Kit about these, but I doubt I'll find myself sat next to him at a cup semi final any time soon. It seems a football ticket has given Wembley a bit of access that I am unlikely to get.

4. If the purpose of the visit was to see the control room during a match, this could easily have been arranged & the ticket given to a kid who'd never normally get the chance. Kit may think missing 1/4 of the game is a good thing. I think it's a criminal waste. The last time I went to Wembley was to watch the Man City Vs Gillingham 2nd Div play off final. I took my nephew & it cost me £250. Watched every second & worth every penny.

As to mystery shopping a few Police Officers. I doubt that the VIP enclosure at Wembley is the most challenging of environments. I'd suggest a trip, in fancy dress, down to the next G20 climate camp. I'm a supporter of the police, I play football with a few officers, great guys. I just think the Police should get praised when they do difficult jobs well, not rather easy ones.

As to Kit affording his own "Nosh & Booze", it begs the question, doesn't it? I love football. I spent the weekend at the Bognor Regis Festival of Football Tournament with my son's team, Watling Under 9's. The price of Kit's ticket, nosh & booze would have paid for a couple of the boys who's parents couldn't afford the price of the trip to go.

Don't get me wrong, if Kit rings me up and says "Here Rog, you have my ticket for the final" I'd be there like a shot (yup, you don't turn that down). I'd justify it by saying "I love football and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity" Trouble is, for too many people in positions of influence, it isn't a once in a lifetime experience. It's just another date in a busy diary.

Here's Kit's response in full.

The wonders of google blog alerts and your tempting offer of a charitable donation compel me to respond!

I accepted the offer of a ticket to the match for a few reasons:

1. I was happy to support Chelsea in a crucial match for them. As a team in my constituency they are a really conscientious community participant and they deserve encouragement and recognition. In particular they run an excellent "Kickz" diversion programme for young people (www.kickz.org.uk) - and I was honoured to be invited to launch this scheme for the club last year.

2. I sat next to the Chairman of the Football Licensing Authority who deal with stadium safety and we discussed a role for the FLA in the Olympics - a meeting is being called to discuss this vital work further as a result.

3. I also sat next to the Chairman of Wembley Stadium and discussed various issues around the planning environment. As a result a meeting is now planned with him and the chairman of the FA Lord Triesman to try and move things along around the area.

4. Most importantly for me, the visit meant I was able to see for myself the control room and security in operation during such a huge match, and to attend the half time police briefing (which meant I missed half of the second half). I met the police team in charge on the day and was able to give them my and the Mayor's personal thanks for the great work they do on a voluntary basis.

For what its worth I also "mystery shopped" several police officers during my journey from central London - all were very polite and wearing ID numbers.

For the record, I am a Liverpool supporter and I can afford my own "nosh and booze" thanks.

Payment to the Metropolitan Police Combined Benevolent Fund - you can make it online at:

http://www.charitychoice.co.uk/charitydetails.asp?ref=6871

With gratitude

Kit Malthouse

No comments: