Sunday 19 July 2009

The worlds worst car thiefs?

I was awoken last night by the sound of commotion in the street and our dog growling. The time was about 4.45. I immediately jumped up and looked out of the window. We've two cars, a Galaxy for family/band use and an old, dilapidated Mondeo for running around when the other one is in use. A couple of young herberts were standing by the door of the Mondeo, clearly up to no good. I immediately yelled as loud as I could (I can yell pretty loud) "What the F*** do you think you are doing?" They yelled back, laughingly "Nicking your car mate". At that they ran off down the road. I could see that they'd not managed to do anything so I thought I'd go back to bed. About five minutes later the sound of a car hurtling up the road agian disturbed me. I immediately felt bad as the herberts had clearly nicked someone elses car. As the speeding car returned and screeched to a halt, I thought "maybe they've come back to cause trouble". Looking out of the window, I realised that the speeding car was the Police. They had stopped and were looking around.

At this I went down and and had a word. I explained that I'd seen them. They asked for a description. As I was half asleep at the time I said "White, about 20". The polcieman explained that I'd been lucky. There was a disgarded brick on the floor. Apparently they'd broken in to one car and tried to hotwire it. Fortunately for me, no damage and no problem.

I was impressed with the speed of the arrival of the Police. I feel rather sorry for my neighbours. This type of car theft is very anti social and a real pain. We're taking my son and a group of friends to a party today. If we'd lost the car a group of small boys and girls would have been deeply disappointed (or we'd have had to inconvenience other parents). Why? So some herberts can have a little drive around.

No comments: