Thursday 2 July 2009

The video that made MTV

This week we've had lots of people paying tribute to Michael Jackson. One of the credits he's received is that he's the man who made MTV with the Thriller video. It was a groundbreaking video, sure enough, but the video which really made MTV is this one.



This is from 1981 and it is Duran Duran performing Girls on Film. This was several years before Thriller and when it first appeared people stopped and stared. They'd never seen anything quite like it. Sure by todays standards it's tame, but in 1981 it was revolutionary. It was the first video to really move away from the "four blokes playing" scenario. Subsequent videos had even higher production standards and really stood out. Locations such as Sri Lanka were used, which was unheard of before.

I met Duran Duran in December 1981 in Stockholm. My then girlfriend, dragged me to a gig at the Underground club at T-Centralen. It was a great gig & I got chatting to a roadie about music. One thing lead to another and next thing we were backstage partying with the band. Simon Le Bon was a great guy. He used to live in Hendon for a while & we discussed local pubs & other stuff. Being in a band, we had a great chit chat. They put us all on the guest list for the next show at the Ritz. We had a hoot that night as well. They signed a stack of memorabilia for the girls & I took their number, agreeing to catch up back in London. I never got round to it. ISimon even nicked one of my jokes for a TV interview on Scandanavian TV. I've still got a signed tour program somewhere.

I'll say this though. They were a great band. They were truly innovative with their videos. If you look at any modern video, there are far more elements of Girls on Film, than any of Michael Jacksons work, and it was done for a fraction of the budget. A superb band, a great video and a fantastic bunch of blokes. This isn't a pop at Michael Jackson. I just like to see credit go where it is really due.

4 comments:

Don't Call Me Dave said...

That's not the video that I remember!

Rog T said...

Dave,
This was the one which MTV showed in the USA after the censors got hold of it. The other one is far better.

I sort of felt that it would be misleading to put the one we all know & love on as the point I was making was about MTV.

Citizen Barnet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Citizen Barnet said...

The computers where I am now have been nobbled so they have no sound - watching this video is even more frustrating for me! I can kind of imagine how much fun the original was!