Sunday 5 July 2009

Mill Hill - The best place in the world to live (on a day like today)

This is the blog I nearly didn't write. I sort of thought about it, then decided that it didn't need saying. Then I read this entry on Rachel Joyce's blog. She's the Tory candidate for West Harrow. I realised that sometimes you HAVE TO say things. Rachel read THIS ARTICLE on the Daily Mail website and for someone who is quite sensible, got her knickers in a real twist.

Now I firmly believe that the Mail writes articles for people who like to draw the curtains, have their tea and biscuits and tut about what a terrible place this is. If they actually got out a bit more, they would realise that, sure there are faults, but we live in a fantastic country and we've never had a better standard of living. This isn't a party political broadcast, this would probably be true, whether Tory, Lib-Dem's or Labour had run the show. There is a recession, some people are struggling, but unlike the 1930's people are not on the breadline. Children do not die because they can't afford medical care. There is a great "5 minute interview" with Tony Benn - he says that the national health service is the biggest positive change that this country ever introduced. I agree.

So what inspired me so much? Well, firstly I had a lie in till 9.30. That is always pleasant. Our local church had arranged an outdoor mass, followed by a picnic, fancy dress parade and football tournament at a local Primary school - St Vincents.

This was really well attended. There were contributions from the Nigerian and Phillipino communities, who have a strong local presence. Whilst researching my blog, I read many nasty things concerning the Nigerian community, often on far right websites. When was the last time you read what a great bunch of people they are? Well as I watched the sea of colourful clothes bopping around as they sang various hymns, I thought to myself "You know what, this is great". One of the most promenant Nigerian members of our parish was the lady who's son died in the 7/7 bombing and who made such a moving and emotional statement on the news. Mrs Marie Fatayi-Williams is an inspiration to everyone with a heart and soul. Read This Guardian report with her words. As we relaxed in the sun, viewing the panoramic vista of London as a backdrop, I thought to myself, "Where else in the world does this happen?" there was no stress, tension or suspicion. Just people who want to be part of a community getting together.

After we had our picnic, we had the football tournament. First up it was the boys. It was played in a great atmosphere. This was followed by the dads, but as there were quite a few boys who wanted to play as well, we stretched the rules to over 12. It was a real fun game, final scoreline 3-3 with yours truly scoring with a fine shot. I spent much of the game marking and extremely skillfull mum! When football is played for fun, as it was, it is the greatest game in the world. My son's best friend won the raffle and we brought home a crate of wine for his folks to collect along with their boy.

In what seems to be an ever more regular occurance a few people approached me to tell me how much they loved their blog. One regular reader told me that a car driven by someone with a very strong resemblence to a certain well known politician, usually spotted in taxi's had nearly run him over on a pelican crossing. Apparently the naughty chap was talking on his mobile at the time. I assured him that as he used to be responsible for Community Safety it simply must have been a case of mistaken identity. We know that he's very into ensuring the safety of pedestrians.

Anyway, I digress. Having finished the game, I realised that I didn't have my wallet. I'd left it unattended on a rug whilst I'd played football for an hour. I scampered back. There it was. We had been sitting next to the main steps, so probably 200 people had walked past it. I've never lost faith in my fellow man and this reaffirmed my trust in the ordinary citizens of Mill Hill.

At this point we came home and settled down to watch the Mens final at Wimbledon. This is surely the greatest of the Tennis tournaments. It was a truly epic battle which Federer battle through to win. Say what you like, but there are some things we still do best and the mens final is one of them. I sat back to enjoy my cup of tea, thought shall I write a blog about what a great day I've had and how I love my home town? I thought "No, what's the point". Then I noticed the Rachel Joyce/Daily Mail story as I had a quick browse.

This litany of gloom and doom enraged me. Why do these people never, ever have a good word to say. Why do they always bang on about what a terrible place we live in? I've been all around the world - USA, USSR, China, all over Europe, Africa, Asia & Australia. I've loved them all, but nowhere beats a hot sunny day in Mill Hill playing football against the United Nations of the Sacred Heart parish.

You may think I bang on about Mike Freer, Brian Coleman, Barnet Council et all because I'm a left wing looney. I do it because I love this town and I care passionately about it. It's the best place in the world, with the green belt and the great transport links. I want it to stay like that.

No comments: