Friday 7 October 2022

The Friday Joke - Goodbye to Robert Wilkinson

 About 12 years ago the former Queen of Barnet Blogging, Vicki Morris (sadly she moved out of the Borough) invented the concept of the Friday Joke. Vicki said that we'd all had a tough week and we needed a joke to cheer us up and put us in the mood for the weekend. I thought it was a wonderful idea. I've carried it on ever since. Being a musician, I don't have a huge well of jokes to fish in. Being a Dad, I love a rather corny joke that may not be that funny but does give you a chuckle; whilst the kids groan. As with my Dad's jokes, I know that they will one day look back on my awful puns with a tear in their eye and a chuckle. The Friday Joke has become an institution on the Barnet Eye and Friday is usually the day of the week when the blog gets the most hits. 

To ensure a constant stream of decent jokes, I've had to cast the net wider over the years. I was fortunate enough to come across Mr Robert Wilkinson. Robert is an author and if Psychological drama's are your thing, he is a damn fine author. Robert has kept a great stream of good 'Dad jokes' flowing and regular readers will know that I've used many of them and always credit Robert. 

Anyway, Robert has had enough of the toxic landscape that Twitter has become. Today he is deleting his twitter account. He posted this on his twitter feed.  It's great that he's still posting gags on his final day as a tweeter. 

It is truly sad that Robert has felt the need to preserve his sanity and get away from Twitter. I genuinely will miss him and wish him well and I really wanted to make the effort to thank him personally, as he's made doing this feature a hell of a lot easier. 

Anyway, as I won't be able to use Robert's rich well of humour anymore, maybe I'll be featuring a great young comedian from Mill Hill. Ali Wood is the son of one of my football squad and has been making a real name for himself recently. He's picked up over 130,000 followers on Instagram so can probably claim to be Mill Hill's most popular comic. Check this our







.

No comments: