Tuesday 11 October 2022

The 10th Anniversary party for the Friern Barnet Library Occupation

 It was my pleasure to be invited to a 10th anniversary party to celebrate the reopening of the Friern Barnet library by members of the occupy movement. This eventually resulted in the council scrapping their plan to demolish the library and put a Tescos there. The Library is still going strong and looking better than ever. I thought I'd film the highlights for posterity


I was delighted to see the Leader of Barnet Council, Barry Rawlings in attendence, as well as Councillor Pauline Coakley-Webb, who were stalwart campaign supporters, as well as new Friern Barnet Councillor Linda Lusingu. Also present was Sarah Sackman, who is running to be the candidate for the Finchley and Golders Green seat. Sarah represented the campaign in the court case. I'm not an FGG resident or a Labour member, but I genuinely think Sarah should be selected. She is one of the most capable and committed people I've ever met. Parliament and the Labour Party needs strong MP's and she would be one of the very best.


I have absolutely nothing against the other candidates, but Sarah is a far higher calibre candidate. When she spoke, I was reminded just how good she is. 

It was also nice to see retired rabbi Jeffrey Newman, former accountant Keith Martin, who was one of the defendents in the case and Joanna Fryer who has kept the library running. Perhaps the biggest shout out, should go to Pete Phoenix of Occupy, who lived in the library during the occupation and organised the reunion. I was reminded of the video I made of him when the occupation started.

The reunion was rescheduled due to the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth. The group shared stories. Perhaps the sweetest was of Don and Lucy, who met at the Pop Up Library and have now been together for ten years. Like many events in Barnet, the get together was slightly bonkers. Phoenix recalled how during the negotiations with the council, we ensured the officials had to sit on kiddies chairs. We recalled how Will Self did a book signing at the Occupied library. 

The Library campaign was the best, most successful I've ever been involved in. When it started I doubted we'd save the Library. Not only did we do that, but we managed to ensure that the architect of the closure, Councillor Robert Rams lost his seat on the council at the next election. I doubt that Labour would have ever won the council if we'd not won the library campaign. 

I gave a short speech, where I explained that the Policing Bill, so beloved to our anti libertarian government, would prevent a benign campaign such as the Library campaign. Liberty asked me to make a video for their campaign, explaining this. 



.


No comments: