Wednesday 21 June 2023

The Mill Hill Music Festival Diary 2023 - Day 2 - The Mikado with the Charles Court Opera

 Our festival team has a very diverse skill set and an equally eclectic programme of events. This means that each of us has a different work level at each event. Our opening night was all about my forte, live contemporary music, with a PA system, lights and stage management required. This meant I ran the event and the team were there for moral support and to dish out leaflets, with some lugging at the beginning and end. We didn't provide a bar as it was at the pub and was free entry with the pub paying the band, so no need for  a door crew.


Last night, the second event, was The Charles Court Opera at the Hartley Hall. They have their own stage crew, no requirements for a PA system, a bar was required as well as door management. My role was to pick up and drop off the refreshments and offer a bit of moral support. We always buy our wine from Mill Hill Wines, who support the festival by providing wine glasses and running our box office. The beer and soft drinks we get elsewhere. As my shop does a weekly cash and carry run, we simply added the festival order and picked it up. I was able to drop it straight to the festival and then pick up the wine and glasses with Dan, another festival organiser. 

After that, I was done with the event. I had some last minute logistics to sort out with other events, so I was at the studio doing PA checks and sending emails. I also had a couple of calls with the cancer clinic at UCLH, which were about sorting out appointments. Once that was done, I had more paperwork for the charity I am the chair of to read and a meeting to chair at 7pm. All was good there, so by 8pm I was able to come along and watch the performance. If I am honest, Opera is not really my thing, but I always thoroughly enjoy the shows at the festival. The companies we use are extremely professional and I've learned a lot over the years about good production by observing their methods. The shows we've had are also the fun end of opera and assuming we do a festival in two years, I'd recommend it. 

Once the event finished, it was all hands on deck to put away the chairs. Our team of helpers had 200 glasses to wash up. Our treasurer had to reconcile the cash and Dan had to stay late to ensure the hall was left spick and span. I snuck away for a crafty beer at around 10.15 with friends, a job well done and everything under control. 

Tonight we are off to St Pauls on the Ridgeway for the classical music recital.

No comments: