Tuesday 11 July 2023

Gig Review - Blur, Paul Weller & The Selecter live at Wembley Stadium - Sun 9th July 2023

 For reasons I can't quite fathom, until Sunday, Blur were one of the few bands that I really like that I never got around to seeing. I nearly saw them at the Town and Country club in Kentish town in 1994(?), but I was managing a band called The Sway and they had a gig at the Bull and Gate, so I gave the ticket away. During the battle of Britpop, I thought they were far superior and more original than Oasis. Since then they have shown that they are perhaps the best band the UK has ever produced. I believe Damon Albarn to be a genius, as born out by his other work with acts such as the Gorillaz. I thought I'd missed the boat completely, until they booked a gig at Wembley. This gave me a real dilemma, as I hate Stadium gigs. A mate persuaded us to join him and his wife. We bought expensive tickets in what football fans call "The prawn sandwich ring". The support was Paul Weller and The Selecter. I have seen both of these many times. I simply love the Selecter, always a great night out. I am very ambivolent about Weller. He has written some fine songs, but I've never enjoyed his live shows. My wife loves him and has on many occasions said that she'd happily leave me for him. I am not sure whether this fuels my ambivolence or not. Amuzingly, my mate who persuaded me, realised a week before that he'd double booked and had arranged to go to the Grand Prix. So his wife took a mate, and I was part of the Girls night out!

So after a pleasant Sunday lunch at the Alice House in West Hampstead, we made our way up to the stadium. We went ridiculously early as we wanted to see all of the bands. Quite incongruously, the DJ was former snooker ACE, AKA Mr Boring AKA Steve Davis. He was getting most excited. His genre of music is not really to my taste, but fair play to him for re-inventing himself. I've DJ'd a few gigs over the years. As no one is there to see you, it can be hard work getting people going, especially at 5.40pm on a Sunday afternoon. I did enjoy seeing him. And onto the bands.

The Selecter. As I mentioned, they are a band I've seen many times going back to the late 1970's. As ever, Pauline Black was wonderful. She's rehearsed at the studios and so I've met her and chatted on a few occasions. I loved the music, but as the stadium was filling up, from our lofty perch, there was little atmosphere, but it was fun. It sort of confirmed my view of stadium gigs.

Paul Weller was next up. I've been dragged along to more Weller gigs than I care to mention. I have to be honest and say that he irritates me intensely. He is undoubtedly a great songwriter, has a stack of good songs and is a passionate performer. We saw the best of this when he did songs such as 'That's Entertainment', 'Shout' and 'Stanley Park'. The trouble is that he simply refuses to play most of them, preferring later stuff, which simply isn't as good. I'm someone who is receptive to a good tune, if I haven't heard it before, if it cuts the mustard, but Weller fills his set with album fillers of mediocre standard. When he plays a banging tune such as "That's Entertainment", all it does is show the gulf between his average and his good work.He reinforced to me something Hank Marvin once said to me, when his son Paul was in the band. He said that if you want work, send the audience home happy and keep it simple. Weller said few words, saying "We haven't got much time, so we're just going to play music". There was some good stuff, but not enough to leave me anything but frustrated. Clare thought he was brilliant and sang wonderfully. In some ways, that's his problem. If he played the set he should play, it would be Weller, not Blur selling out Wembley. It is, for me, the same every time I see him. He has done great stuff in all his incarnation, but just doesn't play enough of it for anyone but the faithful.

Blur came on, to a raptuous reception. I have to say that up until this moment, I'd been regretting my decision to come to Wembley. I simple felt too detached from the audience. The last artist I'd seen at Wembley Stadium was Bowie, on the Glass Spider tour. It was a real disappointment. I actually thought Bowie was better with Tin Machine at Wembley. We were too detached, the whole thing was monumenatally overblown and the songs were all over egged. I preferred the more stripped back versions on the records and felt Bowie ruined all of them. I was half expecting Blur to do the same. 

From a technical perspective, I was surprised to see that the band were playing with wedge monitors, rather than in ear monitors. I found this interesting. It is far harder to get a decent onstage sound, but you feel the music properly with wedge monitors. The set was not overladened with props, something I prefer. Not too fussy. One of my big bugbears with the previous gigs I'd seen was the need of artists such as the Rolling Stones and Bowie was their need to fill the stage up. Being a fan of the Ramones and minimalism, and empty stage always appeals.

Blur made their way on and launched into "St Charles Square", followed by "There's no other way". My misgivings started to evaoporate. I'd not really known what to expect from Damon Albarn. I soon formed the opinion that he is an amazing front man, for a proper rock and roll band. Not intricate dance routines, but very engaged with the audience.

A highlight was the melancholic "Under the Westway". At the end of the number Albarn collapsed in tears, clearly the emotion had got to him. For some performers, it may have seemed contrived, but for Albarn, it seemed the real deal. It was a moment when I 80,000 felt a connection. It's been a tough few years, but we've come through.

 About half way through the set, a small BT maintenance tent was wheeled on. Albarn announced that there was someone in it. He went for a look. He popped out again and they did their hit "House in the country". Clearly something was up. When it finished, Phil Daniels emerged for a rousing version of "Parklife". At this point, the beer took its toll. I nipped to the loo. As I was doing what needed to be done, a lad in the loo exclaimed "That was the best moment ever at one of these things". I had to concur. 

Another highlight, near the end of the set, was "Song No 2". Ths song was originally written as a joke, the band suggesting it as a single to wind up the record company. To their surprise (and delight no doubt) not only did the record company love it, but it went to number 2 in the charts. Like Weller's "That's entertainment", it's simplicity is the key. A lesson for all budding pop/rock stars. 80,000 people were bouncing and joining in the "Woo Hoo's". 

The band did a five number encore, the highlight of which, for me, was "Tender". They brought on the London Community Gospel Choir. Having stated that I didn't like overblown stage's, I was forced to eat my words. I love the song. It is the other extreme from "Song No 2". A delicate piece, beautifully constructed, amazing melodies and great hooks. Two more songs followed, but it was Tender that the audience sang as they departed.

I had gone tothe gig without high hopes, but wanting to tick Blur off the list of bands I've seen. I left thinking that they are perhaps the best English Pop/Rock band I've seen and wishing I'd had tickets for the front. If you get a chance, watch a video, Albarns performance is a lesson in how to be a great frontman, whithout resorting to the usual cliche's. In some ways the gig confirmed all of my prejudices about live music, stadiums, rock and roll music and songwriting. But despite all of the things I dislike about stadium gigs presenting themselves, Blur rose above it and sent me home happy. 

Here's the whole set list


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting thank you have posted this on a Blur fan site..i think Wellers setlist looked good!