Monday 14 May 2012

A Tale of Two Emotions - 1/2 a million disabled people shafted

The two main stories on the front page of the Telegraph. Manchester City win the title and half a million people on disability benefit to be shafted. The Manchester City story has made me immeasurably happy, but the benefits cut will ruin half a million lives. I wish I was heartless enough not to care sometimes. I wish I was selfish enough for the champagne not to taste ever so slightly bitter when I see that headline. The trouble is I do care. It affects friends, relatives and former work colleagues. How could I fail to care? The sad thing is that Iain Duncan-Smith who is proposing it purports to be a "caring" Conservative and some elements of the press portray the cut as a "progressive reform". I find it sickening.

No comments: