Friday 3 April 2009

A productive day - sheltered housing warden cuts

The campaign against the cuts Barnet want to impose on wardens for sheltered accomodation is really taking off. What is rather funny is the news that there is a covert group working behind the scene's for the architects of these cuts trying to besmirch and undermine the Community campaign by any means. I've been tipped off as to some of their shenanigans by one of our more decent and honest Tory Councillors (they aren't all bad guys you know).

It appears that a group has been set up. Lets call them the "Sheltered Housing Information Team" to use the web to try and derail the project. It's a bit sad that this is the only way they think they can win the argument. You may see a few comments left here and on other sites from members of this team. I'm happy to let them post as they really haven't got any serious arguments for their proposal, so they actually help us.

Anyway, enough of the paranoia, on to the good things. I've spoken to a whole host of councillors from across the spectrum in the last few days. We have developed a really exciting strategy for putting pressure on Barnet. I've also spoken to a few old friends in the world of music, film, TV and radio. My good lady wife worked for many years for Central TV in the department that makes documentaries, for one of the countries top producers, Richard Creasey. I'm developing a great proposal and when it's ready we know all the right doors to knock on. My cousin, the late, great director Midge MacKenzie was also a prolific maker of documentaries, founding the Sheffield Festival. At her wake I had a long chat with Helena Kennedy QC, who was one of Midges greatest friends.

From the feedback I've been getting it I'd say that the subject of the warden cuts is one that lends itself to a documentary. Through our campaign we have some great source material. My only worry is whether my liver will stand up to all of the meetings I've got lined up. I spoke to a couple of old friends yesterday about the project and we're going along to see Stiff Little Fingers at the Forum tomorrow night and a few interesting discussions will be had, so I've already got one positive result.

Anyway, I'll leave you with this parting shot. If I had the choice between the "Sheltered Housing Information Team" or the team I'm putting together, put your house on my team !

No comments: