Monday 29 June 2009

And now for something completely different..........

Thought I'd just share something with you all that I'm immensely proud of. My nephew Chris is one of the country's leading animators. He's just back from the States, where he worked on the Hollywood smash "Coraline". I saw this clip of him on the news giving a masterclass to kids at Herne Bay school.



Chris studied animation at Westminster University. He stayed at my house for the first year of his course and during this period he helped me out making props for a video of a band I used to manage. I hope that being in a creative household helped him in some way.

I remember one small piece of advice I gave him. He was complaining about having to write an essay, saying that he hated it. He said he just wanted to do animations. I asked him how many essays he had to write. He replied one per term. I said "That's nine in total, then you'll never have to write another one as long as you live. If you do them really well, you'll get a good degree and then a great job. Is one essay a term really that much?". I've no idea how much of that he took in, but he got a first. He's worked really hard to get where he has. I'm sure he'll go on to even greater things.

It's nice when your nearest and dearest do well.

No comments: