Friday 7 May 2010

Barnet Council Elections - Mill Hill Ward

It seems like I'm a better blogger than I am Council candidate. I've had more hits than I got votes over the last two days. Congratulations to John Hart, Suri Khatri and Brian Schama who won for the Tories.

They are all nice guys who won with humour and dignity. They are probably the finest of the current Barnet Tory crop. I spent much of the day sharing jokes with them as the vote progressed. I've always believed that Mill Hill was a great place and even our Tories are a cut above the run of the mill bunch.

I must say a special word about John Hart. He lost in 1994 and contested every election till he got back in at the 2006 Council elections. Respect. A fine example to Kim, Jeremy and myself. I think we'd have done a better job, otherwise I wouldn't have stood, but if you have to vote for Tories in Mill Hill, you have the best of the bunch in Barnet.

4 comments:

Don't Call Me Dave said...

That’s a very dignified response Rog. Pity Andrew Dismore could not have behaved similarly.

I don’t agree with your politics most of the time, but I do think you would have made an excellent councillor. We need people like you who care for the community and won’t take any B.S. from anyone.

I hope you won’t give up on your political career.

Rog T said...

Yes, David I agree. You have to take it on the chin. It's not personal and John, Suri and Brian are the nicest guys I could have stood against.

It's fair to say that I don't think they expected the result (from their comments prior to Thursday in light of the Clegg bounce) and all along it's been good humoured banter.

A couple of weeks ago John was giving me advice on why Mill Hill is a great ward to represent. I do respect him, if I disagree with his views.

Brian and I agreed to have a pint, regardless of who won, when he declared he was standing. I think he'll do a good job.

Richard Logue said...

Rog, congratulations on a good, well run campaign. I really hope you follow John Hart's example and fight on for the next time!

Mrs Angry said...

I'm really sorry that you didn't win - Barnet Council desperately needs new input and a new direction, but this looks unlikely now. Well done anyway for having the guts to have a go. Perhaps after a ll you can do more good by blogging than getting bogged down by duty to endless committees and party politics.