Thursday 6 May 2010

Mill Hill Election Special - 11am update

I just thought I'd knock out a quick blog to give you a flavour of what has been going on in the Mill Hill ward of Barnet Council for the election.

8am -  Went down to my local polling station to cast my vote in Flower Lane. Had a little joke with the lady on the polling desk for the council. She said "You won't need any instructions will you". I replied "You don't know me  very well then." I then said that at least I now knew I had one vote, so if they counted zero I'd have a word with her. Despite the early hour, voters seemed in a jovial mood. A couple gave me the thumbs up. Had a chat with our teller, Maggie outside. We shared a couple of jokes. Suri Khatri, one of the Conservative Candidates was also telling - strangely no Labour teller? He looked rather fed up. As I left one of the voters said to me "That conservative bloke looked miserable".

I then went off for  a cup of tea at our campaign headquarters. Suitably refreshed, I headed off for a spell telling at Daws Lane. Again, no Labour teller. Another of the Conservative Candidates,Brian Schama was there. Unlike Mr Khatri, he was quite cheerful, if freezing cold. He was complaining that his replacement was late and he was cold. I said "Suri looked rather miserable, are you expecting bad news?". He laughed "Oh, he always looks like that". He went on to say that he's a lovely chap. Telling is a funny business. After Brian left, a rather nice Tory lady from Cambridge turned up. As we went about our business, an unfortunate lady fell over and badly twisted her ankle. We both rushed to her assistance and made sure she was ok. She seemed to be, if rather badly shaken. The business of politics is very civilised in Mill Hill. For five minutes the election went out of the window and concern for someone who had hurt themselves became the main concern.  I rather hope that everyone who is involved from all parties is doing it because they want to help people. I was pleased to see that this is the main concern in Mill Hill.

It is clear that there is a massive turnout. Make sure you are part of it.

No comments: