Wednesday 5 May 2010

Time for a change - In who runs Barnet Council

The Tories have recently plastered their "change" message all over the London Borough of Barnet. I mischieviously asked one of their councillor candidates on Saturday in Mill Hill if he thought people should vote for change. He replied "yes". I then said "Well you could have saved them the bother and just stood down". Sadly he didn't find it very funny. When he composed himself he said "Oh we don't need change at the council, we're doing a marvellous job. We need another eight years!". ( I didn't remind him of the £27.4 million they'd lost in Iceland, the £11 million they'd overspent or the raid on the council reserves to keep down Council Tax).

I then asked him if he would be glad to see the back of "unelected Gordon Brown". He said "Yes, it's terrible how he didn't call an election when Blair went, don't you agree?". I replied "Oh yes, mind you, didn't your lot sack Salinger (The Tory Council Leader at the last election) five minutes after the last election?". The esteemed councillor replied "Oh, but that's different, he didn't have the support of the group". That's Ok then. Stuff the electors, the Tory councillors view is far more important.

I thought I'd have one last little bit of banter. "Do you think Andrew Harper will be the next Leader of the Council?". He immediately snapped back "Lynne Hillan is doing a fine job as Leader". I then said "Ah yes, but if and when she does go, would you back Andrew Harper?".

I can't tell you what he said next as he made me promise to keep it secret and that's exactly what I'll be doing. Let's just say that his answer was rather surprising, although not totally out of character for a member of the Barnet Tories.

Me personally, I rather hope Jack Cohen will be the next Leader of the Council. I rather think it's time for a change in who runs Barnet Council and I don't just mean Lynne Hillan.

No comments: