Saturday 8 February 2020

The Saturday List #251 - The A-Z of my favourite bands

Here's a very special (to me) list. This is an alphabetic list of my Favourite bands. THE doesn't count!
Simple rule, one per letter. It is OK if the bands name has a persons name at the start, but only if the band was a real band of merit.

A - ALTERNATIVE TELEVISION
B - THE BUZZCOCKS
C - THE CLASH
D - THE DAMNED
E - EDDIE AND THE HOT RODS
F - THE FALSE DOTS
G - GENERATION X
H - THE HEARTBREAKERS
I - IGGY POP AND THE STOOGES
J - JOAN JETT AND THE BLACKHEARTS
K- THE KINKS
L - THE LURKERS
M - MADNESS
N - NEW YORK DOLLS
O - THE OFFSPRING
P - THE POGUES
Q - THE QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE
R - THE RAMONES
S - THE STEVE MILLER BAND
T - TELEVISION
U - UK SUBS
V - THE VIBRATORS
W - WIRE
X - X RAY SPEX
Y - THE YATCHS
Z - ZZ TOP

There were some letters that I struggled with, The Damned only just trumped the Dickies, the Clash only just beat the Cramps and the Country Joe and the Fish. Some walked it such as ZZ Top, who were a jukebox favourite of mine and I couldn't think of another band that started with a Z. S probably had the most with the Specials, The Saints, The Sex Pistols, The Slits, Squeeze, Souixsie and the Banshees,  and The Stranglers would have all displaced just about anyone else on the list, had their band name started with a different letter. I have tried to base the difficult ones on which artist has seen most spins on my turntable or on pub jukeboxes. I did my list and then checked a few band name lists to make sure I'd not dropped any clangers, forgetting a band I love. I was interested that one confirmed how popular it is for band names to start with the letter "S", which seems to have far more than any other.

As to a video to accompany the list, as the lead singer of The False Dots, Allen Ashley had the honour of being elected as President of the British Fantasy society,


I had to chose something from my favourite band of all (my band, The False Dots).  I think this is perhaps Allens best lyrical composition. A truly beautiful song. Enjoy, it's called Winter in Your Heart and is one of the most delicate songs we perform. I have been playing it since 1985 and always look forward to it in the set. It may well be the song the False Dots have performed most live in our career.

.

No comments: