Happy St Stevens day! (AKA Bozing day). When I was a kid, this was a big day. Being from a good Catholic household and going to a Catholic school, I was an alter server. St Steven was the patron St of Alter servers. On his feast day, the Sacred Heart laid on a special treat for Alter Servers on St Stevens day. We had a special mass at 8am that it was compulsory to attend! At some point, a new, young Priest Fr Jimmy Sheil (God rest his soul, he died not too long ago) turned up. Jimmy moved it to Ten AM and gave us a little party afterwards, where we got sweets and fizzy drinks. Jimmy was a brilliant man. He loved sports, especially Rugby and was always a laugh. The Alter Servers doubled in size when he was around. So wherever you are Jimmy, RIP. I can't think of Boxing Day without remembering Jimmy. Anyway, without further ado, here's my selection of the very best tweets of the week.
1. Having mentioned Jimmy, it seems appropriate to pick this tweet first. The Good Neighbour scheme for Burnt Oak and Mill Hill have their annual Xmas lunch at The Sacred Heart. It is a brilliant local charity.
And finally, a big heartfelt thankyou to all the volunteers who worked so hard to make the lunch happen. pic.twitter.com/AKt6XtE7QU— Good Neighbour Scheme for Mill Hill and Burnt Oak (@NeighboursMHBO) December 23, 2021
2. My Christmas wish for the year is that the Council and historic England to pull their finger out and sort this. A Merry Xmas to our good friend Mr Mark Amies, who does so much wonderful work preserving our local history
Not that either @BarnetCouncil or @HistoricEngland are bothered but the Grade 2 listed #RailwayHotelEdgware is still not secure. Rear of property open to vandals, windows left wide open.@Barneteye @PubsSaving pic.twitter.com/O8zqvOJmEH— Mark Amies (@Superfast72) December 23, 2021
3. It is always a joy to bring you details of a new local blog. I like the look of this one. And Merry Xmas to our Welsh Harpies friends
Did you know the Welsh Harp used to have park rangers? 💚🥰— Friends of the Welsh Harp (@welshharpies) December 22, 2021
In our newly launched blog, Will Griffin writes about his time as park ranger of the Welsh Harp in the 80s and 90s: https://t.co/RlzyLe3ryC
Bring back our rangers! 🙌 pic.twitter.com/wWYPsiqxLY
4. If anyone out there didn't get me an Xmas present because they weren't sure what to get, I'd love one of these Cricklewood Classics! Our little patch used to be the heart of the British Auto and Aerospace sectors. I'm not sure if anything is made in the Borough anymore?
1937 Bentley 4¼-Litre cabriolet by James Young— Oldtimer ClassicCars (@spicker123) December 25, 2021
In 1931 Rolls-Royce purchased Bentley Motors and moved the Bentley factory from Cricklewood to Derby. The Bentley produced there are commonly...
Read more - more pictures: https://t.co/ImUo7Pe7rq pic.twitter.com/jRrpNVYu0p
5. Nice post from the Finchley dogwalkers, many locals have dogs, which we all want to keep healthy
Here are ome tips on Christmas leftovers and your doghttps://t.co/FXQS3nMRzh— Derek Chambers (@FinchleyDogWalk) December 25, 2021
6. We have a new bridge in Finchley and it's been officially christened!
7. Well done to all of the volunteers who helped
Thanks to our amazing team for helping us with good and gifts for our foodbank clients. Have a merry Christmas everybody @BarnetCouncil @BarnetLibraries @Young_Barnet @Adammorley7 @InsideMillHill pic.twitter.com/4rwQdFrU1y— Mill Hill Library (@MillHillLibrary) December 25, 2021
8. As ever briliant tweeting from the Mill Hill Historical Society
A Christmas Party thrown on this day in 1932 by Edgware Police at The Ritz Cinema, which was later the ABC.— Mill Hill Hist Soc (@MHHistSoc) December 23, 2020
From Getty Images pic.twitter.com/205Og7YnYZ
9. You have to smile.....
An update from Mill Hill— Inside Mill Hill (@InsideMillHill) December 18, 2021
The stolen Santa has been returned to the shop with an apology, the owners of Pound Plus Shop have thanked us and wish you all a Merry Christmas 😍
Christmas is the season to give forgiveness.
Forgiving others brings peace and joy to our lives. pic.twitter.com/zxRc3Fh5R2
10. And on the subject of smiles!
Enjoy the rest of the holiday safely and happuly
That's all folks.