Saturday 18 December 2021

The Barnet Eye Saturday list #331 - Reasons to be Cheerful (part 4)

 I wasn't going to write a list today. If truth be told, I was feeling uninspired. I am sitting in the studio reception. It should be rammed today, we should have at least 30 sessions booked. We have 15. I've spent all week refunding bands for cancelled sessions, which were not required as their well paid Xmas shows have bitten the dust. I shouldn't even be working, Saturday is a day off, but one of my staff is off with Omicron. Luckily he wasn't around when he contracted it, so we are only a man down. But then I saw a post on Facebook that a mate of mine has got married (he'd kept it quiet). It cheered me up. Amongst all of the despair, I thought, yeah, you know what, the world goes on. Why be miserable. I stuck on Ian Dury and thought, I'll do my bit to spread a little joy. I was going to make my list, but when Ian Dury has already made a list, why would I argue with him. While the music of Ian Dury still exists, the world will always spin on its access. 

Summer, Buddy Holly, the working folly
Good golly, Miss Molly and boats
Hammersmith Palais, the Bolshoi Ballet
Jump back in the alley and nanny goats
Eighteen wheeler Scammells, Dominica camels
All other mammals plus equal votes
Seeing Piccadilly, Fanny Smith and Willie
Being rather silly and porridge oats
A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
Too short to be haughty, too nutty to be naughty
Going on forty no electric shocks
The juice of a carrot, the smile of a parrot
A little drop of claret, anything that rocks
Elvis and Scotty, the days when I ain't spotty
Sitting on a potty, curing smallpox
Health service glasses, gigolos and brasses
Round or skinny bottoms
Take your mum to Paris, lighting up a chalice
Wee Willie Harris
Bantu Steven Biko, listening to Rico
Harpo Groucho Chico
Cheddar cheese and pickle, a Vincent motorsickle
Slap and tickle
Woody Allen, Dali, Domitrie and Pascale
Balla, balla, balla and Volare
Something nice to study, phoning up a buddy
Being in my nuddy
Saying okey-dokey, sing-a-long a Smokie
Coming out of chokie
John Coltrane's soprano, Adie Celentano
Beuno Colino

Here's a playlist to cheer you up. If it doesn't you are beyond redemption! This time next week it will be Xmas and in two weeks it will be 2022. We can only hope that it will be a better year, if that isn't a reason to be cheerful what is?

No comments: