Saturday 29 June 2024

The Saturday List #446 - My ten mantra's that get me through life

 How do you get through difficult times and tough experiences? My Dad told me that when he was flying his bomber over Romania in 1944 and he was being shot down, he realised he may only have seconds to live. What did he do? He told me that he said a quick "Hail Mary" and asked for the intercession of the Virgin Mary to see him through. Given that every second was vital in getting out of the stricken Wellington bomber, it may have seemed like a crazy action, but he baled out and survived, making his three score and ten years. When he told me this, I was stunned but he said "I've always said a prayer in dire times to get me through". I don't have his same strong faith, but I do have mantra's that I repeat to myself when I need to find something from somewhere. Here they are.

1. I may be old, I may be past it, it may hurt, but I'm not a quitter. This is (probably a misquote) from a Judge Dredd story in 2000AD comic, where Dredd was battling a younger, stronger, fitter assassin. I always say this before I perform with the band, as I will be doing today at 5pm at The East Barnet Festival.

2. If you don't try, it you don't try, if you don't try, then it's goodbye. A lyrics written by Allen Ashley in a False Dots song called, rather imaginatively "If you don't try". When my knees and ankles were up to it, this was my mantra when I did the various 5k and 10K runs I've done over the years and things were getting tough. 

3. Don't you let nobody turn you round. The old song of the freedom movement. I first heard it as a Steve Miller Song on the Your Saving Grace album. I sing this line to myself, sometimes the whole song, when I have to deal with idiots. 

4. Money so green So casually seen It don't bother me It's not enough. A line from The Heartbreakers song, It's not enough. I use this to remind myself that money has no real worth. It can't buy you the love and respect of people who matter to you. It can't take away the pain of losing someone you love. I sing this to remind myself to cherish the moment, when you are happy. On Tuesday, it was my wife's birthday. I gave her the choice. We could go for a really fancy dinner or we could ask the kids and a few friends over for a barbeque. Option 2 was cheaper. She chose that. We had a great night.

5. When my days are numbered, I'm gonna buy some Jack and Smack, I'm gonna take me on a journey and I ain't coming back. I wrote these lyrics when I was feeling very down about my situation with cancer, for the song Buy me a bottle of Jack. It may seem really dark and nihilistic, but it always makes me laugh. What I am really saying is that I hope I take my fianl journey on my terms. As the situation is now very positive (touch wood), It is not imminent (hopefully), but that makes me smile for it's dark humour. Dark humour is sometimes all the keeps you going to see you through

6.  London is drowning and I live by the river. A line from London Calling by the Clash. I worked for several years in an office overlooking the River Thames near London Bridge. When I was feeling overwhelmed by work, I'd look at the river and sing this. It helped me to face the challenge.

7. No No No No No No Mr Suit. A line from the Wire Song Mr Suit. Whenever I've been faced with beligerent authority I sing this in my head. It helps me keep calm and focused and sane when dealing with idiotic bureacracy. 

8. Life, Mine's not for Sale, Death, I'm not your slave. The chorus of The False Dots songs "Action Shock". I wrote this in 1982, whilst in bed with my then girlfriend, as we watched the news of the Falkland Islands war and the coverage of the battle of Goose Green. Since then, I've sung it at times of extreme crisis, when I am feeling down. It is a mantra to get through the direst challenge.

9. I love rock and roll, stick another dime in the Jukebox baby. When I used to work in town and have awful days, I'd sing this to myself, then go to one of the local pubs that had a great jukebox, get the Evening Standard, a bag of nuts and a pint and stick Joan Jett on. The world would seem OK then.

10. Ain't no stopping us now, we're in the groove. The classic McFadden and Whitehead song. Another song I use when I've got a long walk/run or boring task to complete. It gets me through as well as any tonic or drug. 


The False Dots are playing at 5pm at Oakhill Park for the East Barnet Festival Today. If you need a pick me up, come down for a party!


No comments: