Saturday 31 March 2012

The Big Smoke - Official Launch Party

Last night I made my way to Camden Town Hall for the official launch of The Big Smoke - http://www.bigsmoke.org.uk/ - what is The Big Smoke, you may ask? Well for those of you who are old hippies, looking to get mashed, sadly it's not a blog for Stoners ! Nope, in there own words it is
An online magazine for London that cares about environmental issues and covers community news. In short, a place that wants to help make London even better.
So who was at the launch? There were a few bloggers, a few environmentalists and a few politicians. It was particularly nice to finally meet Adam Bienkov - AKA The Tory Troll, a fellow big fan of Brian Coleman and Darryl, the Greenwich 853 blogger.I've followed both of these blogs for years. I've spoken on the phone a few times to Adam, so it was nice to put a face to the name.

One of the things that seemed to win a good deal of support was the idea I floated of a London bloggers conference in the Autumn. It is something I have been toying with for a while. Fortunately, now my work commitments put me in a place where I can make this happen.

The Barnet Eye supports all local bloggers, online magazines and anyone else involved in trying to build a better community in London. We operate an open access policy, so we publish guest blogs from anyone who has something to say about life in the London Borough of Barnet. We are on the verge of a big announcement ourselves. I have a very important meeting today and expect to be able to share some very exciting news on Monday (if not sooner!).

No comments: