I was sickened and disgusted to read a post by one of my blogging friends Scarlett the Heavenly Healer- http://heavenlyhealer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-year-of-bully.html - She muses on whether 2012 is the year of the bully. Maybe she has a point.
We've seen a fair bit of this in Barnet
* Helen Michael investigated by Scotland Yard's SO15 Anti Terrorist officers for putting up an election poster without her name on.
* Elderly residents of Barnet deprived of toilet facilities during a sit in at Friern barnet Library
* Shop keepers in High Barnet visited by Councillor Brian Coleman threatening to call the police over posters complaining about his parking policy
* Councillor Brian Coleman insulted the disabled members of the community duringa council debate describing them as "these people" and saying he didn't believe they should be provided with transport by the council.
* Barnet blogger Mr Mustard abused by a Brian Coleman yesterday for no better reason than Coleman cc'd him into a polite email to the leader of the council.
These are just a few of the examples of bnullying in Barnet.The Barnet Eye believes that it is necessary to stand up to bullies and to support your friends and those who can't stand up for themselves. If you are a victim of bullying, don't take it. Do something about it. Bullies only ever pick on the weak, when they think they can get away with it. Councillor Brian Coleman has been a bully for years. This year the electorate of Barnet and Camden wised up to his behaviour and sacked him. His 20,000 GLA majority became a 20,000 majority for the Labour candidate. Why? because people like Helen Michael refused to be bullied and stood up to be counted. A lesson for us all.
Let's make 2012, the year of standing up to bullies. As a community joined together.