Monday 28 February 2011

A question for Lynne Hillan - What sort of person is respectable?

If like me, you read Lynne Hillans comments about bloggers being unrespectable today (see previous post) in a state of disbelief that she could be so stupid. Anyway, I was musing on the word "respectable" and I guess that Hillan and myself just view the adjective slightly differently. You see if you asked me what made someone "respectable" I'd say honest, hardworking and loyal are qualities I'd associate with the word.

I suspect Hillan has focussed on different ways it can be used.

Here's a few examples :-

"Brian Coleman gets over £115,000 from the taxpayer for doing a series of non jobs - thats a well respectable wedge"

"I drank three bottles of bubbly last night and I've got an extremely respectable hangover for my troubles"

"Mrs Beans-Dugdale-Smith is a Lapdancer, when she does the business you get a well respectable reaction in your underpants"

So I guess when Ms Hillan says I'm not respectable, I really need to know what context she means?

P.S Should there be any Mrs Beans-Dugdale-Smiths in the Borough who aren't lapdancers, apologies for any embarrassment caused. Also if there are any Brian Colemans in the Borough who don't get over £115,000 per annum for a series of non jobs, apologies to you as well.

2 comments:

Jaybird said...

She referred to respectable media, rather than respectable people. However, it would be interesting to know what she means by this.

Is blogging always an unrespectable pursuit?

Is blogging respectable if you hold an NUJ card, like, for example, Jon Snow?

If it is only respectable if done by journalists, then what is her view of Mike Freer's old blog, Leader Listens, Conservative Home (where Brian Coleman has posted a number of blogposts), John Redwood MP, or Norman Tebbit?

If she thinks they are OK then perhaps she is making a judgement about who is a respectable blogger or not, in which case perhaps she has been misquoted and meant to say "respectful media".

If she believes that that is respectable

baarnett said...

Jaybird: As a minor point, the "leaderlistens.com" web site name (DNS name) is a shadow of its former self.

For a while, it had true greatness, as it reflected the power and authority of Mike Freer, Council Leader.

Then, in its declining period, it merely redirected to WWW.BARNET.GOV.UK.

Now, in its death-throws, it produces the firm response of "FORBIDDEN" if anyone has the cheek to try and access it.

Leader Listens:
RIP.
No flowers please.
Please make donations to the 'Mike Freer Roaming Van Charity', if you wish.
Tea and cakes back at the Town Hall after the funeral.