Saturday 19 February 2011

Say no to 0870 - Don't let these robbers rip you off - Shame on Talk Talk

And now for something completely different. Of the many things this blog tries to do, one is to stop us all being ripped off. A massive thank you to my good mate Brian Maskall for this tip. Yesterday I had to ring Talk Talk to cancel an account. I got my bill and was just about to ring when Brian said "Don't ring that number, it's a premium rate line". This means you don't get charged the normal cost of a call, you pay a fortune. I responded "But I need to ring them up". Brian responded "I think you'll find that if you go to the Say No to 0870 website, you'll find a normal rate number there." So id followed his advice and sure enough I did. Guess what? Talk Talk passed me from pillar to post. I was on the phone for half an hour and I still didn't manage to even speak to the right department. The final operator I spoke to said "I have to transfer you to customer services" and at that, the line went dead. I will be reporting Talk Talk to OFCOM. I was only calling them as they didn't cancel the account when I wrote to them. This is sharp practice and a rip off. If any utility, phone co etc puts a number starting "087" on your bill as a contact, you will be ripped off. You can avoid this by visiting this website :-

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Click on the dialog line (near top left hand corner of the page) that says "search to find an alternative number".

I reckon I saved between £14 and £30 as a result of this yesterday. Please pass this tip on.

No comments: