Tuesday 3 May 2022

So what chance do the Lib Dems have in Mill Hill ward on Thursday?

If you follow me on Facebook, you will see that my brother asked me how I rated my chances on Thursday. Here is my response

"If you'd asked me six months ago I'd have said zero. Now I'd say 50/50. Always hard to tell, but when we compare canvass returns to 2018, many people we describe as Soft Conservative, who wouldn't entertain us at the last Council election are saying they've already dropped Postal Votes for us. I think that the local Conservatives are making the same mistake Labour has made since 1998, which is running the same campaign they ran last time they were elected. Labour are not actively campaigning in Mill Hill, so we are picking up support from both sides. The problem with us Brits is we are polite, so people often tell you what you want to hear because they don't want to upset you, but in 2018 it was very polarised post Brexit and with Corbyn whereas people are back to thinking about local issues and being cross with Boris, which has made an enormous difference."


Such things can be hard to gauge, but there are a few things I've noticed. We posted a video on Sunday explaining our strategy to get to grips with the local pothole plague. Quite a few people have seen it. They all asked the same question. It's not a party political issue, so why aren't the other parties doing this or suggesting this? The answer is simple sadly. They are a bit lazy and unimaginative. I've got a friend who works for one of the largest civil engineering companies in the world. They don't do work in Barnet, but he lives locally. I asked him what could be done. He explained. He also told em of other councils that do this, so I randomly belled a couple of councillors at these authorities. They were quite happy to share their experiences. If you want lazy, unimaginative councillors, then by all means vote for the incumbents, but I really think the London Borough of Barnet deserves better.


One other final word. The Local Tories are claiming they will protect the Green Belt. How do they explain this then? Check the thread

No comments: